Merseyside Police visiting people with 12 or more guns.....

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

Re: Merseyside Police visiting people with 12 or more guns..

#51 Post by HH1 »

Heads up... if you have items that require secure storage, make sure they are locked away when you aren't at home.

I heard yesterday that a prominent club member / RFD has had his RFD and personal FAC / SGC revoked and all his guns & ammunition seized, due to making a silly "mistake".....
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#52 Post by Pete »

I'd like to hear from someone with an FAC and/or RFD, who has personally been visited by unannounced plod without having been the least bit naughty.............

(A lot of hearsay floating around)

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
MistAgain

#53 Post by MistAgain »

Pete wrote:I'd like to hear from someone with an FAC and/or RFD, who has personally been visited by unannounced plod without having been the least bit naughty.............

Pete
the least bit naughty.............would include forgetting to sign FAC/SGC .

Loading a few more rounds than allowed on the FAC .

Having half a box of .223 at the back of the ammo safe months after you had solld your .223 and got a variation for a .308 .
HH1

#54 Post by HH1 »

Pete wrote:I'd like to hear from someone with an FAC and/or RFD, who has personally been visited by unannounced plod without having been the least bit naughty.............

Pete
It is not "hearsay"... I was personally there in the club room last month when this person took a phone call and said "Ahhh I have to go, the police are at my house".

I'm not at liberty to give names or say what the actual reason for revocation was.

The guy was a very active member and very passionate about the shooting sports.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#55 Post by Sim G »

I understand the name bit, but the reason for his ticket being revoked you could divulge as it would be anonymous and may serve as a heads up to others...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#56 Post by Blackstuff »

MistAgain wrote:
the least bit naughty.............would include forgetting to sign FAC/SGC .
I've never understood why such a big deal is made of that, at least since the demise of cheques as an everyday method of payment. I presume it was initially brought in as a further means of an RFD/gun seller to check your identity i.e. You pay with a cheque and they can see if the signatures match? It just seems a bit irrelevant now.
DVC
HH1

#57 Post by HH1 »

Sim G wrote:I understand the name bit, but the reason for his ticket being revoked you could divulge as it would be anonymous and may serve as a heads up to others...
Ok, understood.....

The Police called at his home while he was at the club. There was ammunition that was not locked away securely.

Without making excuses for him... As an RFD he would bring a Peli-case full of ammunition each week to the club which was much appreciated by our members. Prices were excellent and it was far more convenient than making the 50+ mile round trip to our favourite Gun Shop. He had the common calibers and he would take special orders. It is feasible that he forgot to pack something to bring to the club, or he had a fresh order of ammunition and didn't put it all away..... whatever the case, this situation has cost him dear!
MistAgain

#58 Post by MistAgain »

HH1 wrote:
Sim G wrote:I understand the name bit, but the reason for his ticket being revoked you could divulge as it would be anonymous and may serve as a heads up to others...
Ok, understood.....

The Police called at his home while he was at the club. There was ammunition that was not locked away securely.

Without making excuses for him... As an RFD he would bring a Peli-case full of ammunition each week to the club which was much appreciated by our members. Prices were excellent and it was far more convenient than making the 50+ mile round trip to our favourite Gun Shop. He had the common calibers and he would take special orders. It is feasible that he forgot to pack something to bring to the club, or he had a fresh order of ammunition and didn't put it all away..... whatever the case, this situation has cost him dear!
How times have changed .

Many years ago I used to fit car alarms . One day a nice arab gentleman brought in a Datsun 240Z to be alarmed .
While fitting the backup battery in the boot I found a full box of 38 special and 2 50 round boxes of 22lr.
I was able to check the log book for the last owners details and found it was a person that I knew , a serving police officer , member of the police rifle club and an authorised to carry firearms officer .
I returned the ammunition to him a few days later and he was of course grateful .

Round about the same time , the rifle club that I was a member of , shared the police indoor range .
On more than one occasion when we opened up the range , police issue S&W Model 10's were left lying around as well as ammunition .
This was always returned to the firearms registry boss the next day , quietly and with no fuss.

In the interests of fairness , I wont name the police force concerned .
NoEntry
Home club or Range: Phoenix Shooters Association. Grange Rifle and Pistol Club. Jersey Pistol Club

#59 Post by NoEntry »

NoEntry
Home club or Range: Phoenix Shooters Association. Grange Rifle and Pistol Club. Jersey Pistol Club

#60 Post by NoEntry »