Merseyside Police visiting people with 12 or more guns.....

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
MistAgain

Re: Merseyside Police visiting people with 12 or more guns..

#61 Post by MistAgain »

Might be a good idea if those of us who can , posted comments on the Echo website .
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#62 Post by Dark Skies »

MistAgain wrote:
Might be a good idea if those of us who can , posted comments on the Echo website .
My experience in posting comments on the digital chip wrapper sites is that you invariably end up feeling foolish and mentally frustrated for having had the temerity to introduce reason and proportion into an arena populated by pub experts who solemnly believe that any intrusion into the rights of others is fully justified on the grounds of 'if you haven't done anything wrong you have nothing to fear'.
You can see you're already doomed to failure thanks to the inappropriate setup picture of a grim looking copper with what appears to be machine pistols and KeepSafe bags of seized drugs when the main story is completely unrelated.
The UK has an awful lot of deeply entrenched stupid people. They're not going to read beyond their comment anyhow - these are people that take selfies. It's all about them.

The carrot and stick (mostly stick) comment is further proof that we live in disturbing times.
They said the 2016 guidance states it is expected that responsible owners will co-operate with “reasonable requests to inspect security arrangements”.
The force stated any failure to comply with reasonable requests to inspect firearms may be taken into account when taking a licensing decision.

Reasonable is whatever the police say it is. You can be sure disagreeing with their standards of 'reasonable' makes you an irresponsible owner with a dubious hold on your FAC.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
artiglio

#63 Post by artiglio »

I agree, the reporting in the linked article is more than a little “adventurous “ . As stated by Dark Skies there is a picture of a chap with what appears to drugs and semi/automatic firearms and a reference to a police operation, but the accompanying text in no way links the the picture and article together or distances them. Leaving the casual comic book style reader to assume the worst. Abysmal reporting though no doubt would get an .”A” for sensationalism.

As for the actions/attitude of the police, they obviously feel that there is sufficient evidence/risk to warrant the resources they are using for the visits. It seems, in the absence of hard information ,extremely inefficient to knock on doors hoping someone will answer, on the off chance that firearm security is not up to scratch, but no doubt it’s been decided by those who have a better understanding.
NoEntry
Home club or Range: Phoenix Shooters Association. Grange Rifle and Pistol Club. Jersey Pistol Club

#64 Post by NoEntry »

HO guidelines here.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 16_v20.pdf

Section 19.11 page 171 refers.

The key is the phrase "reasonable requests" I am not at all sure that unannounced visits by a FEO and four armed uniformed officers constitute a "reasonable request"
RDC

#65 Post by RDC »

artiglio wrote:I agree, the reporting in the linked article is more than a little “adventurous “ . As stated by Dark Skies there is a picture of a chap with what appears to drugs and semi/automatic firearms and a reference to a police operation, but the accompanying text in no way links the the picture and article together or distances them. Leaving the casual comic book style reader to assume the worst. Abysmal reporting though no doubt would get an .”A” for sensationalism.

As for the actions/attitude of the police, they obviously feel that there is sufficient evidence/risk to warrant the resources they are using for the visits. It seems, in the absence of hard information ,extremely inefficient to knock on doors hoping someone will answer, on the off chance that firearm security is not up to scratch, but no doubt it’s been decided by those who have a better understanding.
Merseyside Police reckon they have a firearms problem, recently doing huge armed shows of force in crap areas. No doubt this is another angle they can approach it from to look tough to Joe Public and the HO. Never mind that its not actually targeting the crims causing the problems.
MistAgain

#66 Post by MistAgain »

I hear that one of the FEO's who has been involved in the “unannounced visits” has taken some form of early retirement from Merseyside Police .

Very interesting !
MistAgain

#67 Post by MistAgain »

Latest from Merseyside :

All FAC and SGC renewals from 1st August must be accompanied by a letter from the applicants GP .

Merseyside Police have stated that they will accept a copy of the applicants medical records in the event that a GP will not provide a letter .

The BASC says they have written to Merseyside Police & Crime Comissioner requesting a meeting .

The Merseyside Crime Commissoner , Jane Kennedy is a lifelong anti-gunner ! . She is known to ignore letters and emails from the shooting community .
Lancs_Oakley
Home club or Range: Diggle

#68 Post by Lancs_Oakley »

4 uniformed armed officers?

How to attract attention not. I mean you live in a bit of a rough area and all the local scrotes see 4 armed cops turn up and a bloke in a suit with a clip board.... yeah... great idea that guys.
NoEntry
Home club or Range: Phoenix Shooters Association. Grange Rifle and Pistol Club. Jersey Pistol Club

#69 Post by NoEntry »

JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#70 Post by JSC »

The phrase "We have a responsibility for public safety" is trotted out time after time to justify actions by the Police, Home Office and Government, often when public safety isn't remotely being threatened.

It would be interesting to find out all the detail in these cases so we can judge for ourselves how public safety had been put at risk.