Merseyside Police visiting people with 12 or more guns.....

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

Re: Merseyside Police visiting people with 12 or more guns..

#31 Post by safetyfirst »

25Pdr wrote:A while back my FEO (An Ex Firearms Cop and a great person) paid me a visit bringing along a young uniformed lady on a Firearms training exercise. Both very pleasant, during their visit young lady casually asks "Why do you need 20 Firearms" I replied "Why do you need so many pairs of shoes"

Point taken and smiles all round. :D
lol. I know a few girls with about three pairs. You’re lucky mate.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#32 Post by breacher »

It would be a sad and boring world if we only ever possessed what we actually need and nothing more........
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#33 Post by bradaz11 »

breacher wrote:It would be a sad and boring world if we only ever possessed what we actually need and nothing more........
surely you aren't suggesting that you have firearms that you only WANT, and not NEED??
breacher wrote: You might live in a village with zero crime and not a single resident with a criminal record - you have 20 rifles and nobody asks you to have an alarm.......................or you might have 2 rifles live in a town plagued by burglary, the guy three doors down is on parole for burglary, the guy in the next street has previous for murder of a neighbour etc etc etc etc They will ask you to consider an alarm but will not give details of your neighbours past !
a past FEO on his one and only visit to my flat in Luton said I needed an alarm and would not return my FAC until I called him to say one was fitted. his words were, 'you have some very naughty neighbours, fit an alarm'.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#34 Post by Pete »

You guys have been very unlucky with FEO's..............I've only ever seen one (and on only two occasions) since 2007.........nice old chap, ex-job, now retired, afaik.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#35 Post by dromia »

The local risk issue can work two ways, I had a visit once from a crime prevention officer when they were being used to assess security. His recommendation for security was way over the top for the four dozen odd guns I had at the time. I politely wrote to firearms certification challenging his recommendations and pointing out the low local risk and present security arrangements being more than adequate, they wrote back saying my current security was fine and the renewal went through.

However the OP's post seems to suggest that in this particular case it is more than just pertaining to individual situations but a blanket approach based on the number of firearms held regardless of the local risk.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#36 Post by Ovenpaa »

When we first moved to the new workshop the CPO suggested a lot of things, some were sensible and some bordering on impossible so we put in what we thought was required and would comply with guidelines and he was delighted as was the FEO. One thing I did learn is never, ever put a crime prevention officer and alarm man together as they have a tendency to spend a lot of money if left unchecked.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#37 Post by Thorney »

Ovenpaa wrote:When we first moved to the new workshop the CPO suggested a lot of things, some were sensible and some bordering on impossible so we put in what we thought was required and would comply with guidelines and he was delighted as was the FEO. One thing I did learn is never, ever put a crime prevention officer and alarm man together as they have a tendency to spend a lot of money if left unchecked.

Agree with that, our two got to £30k before we had to calm them down!
Hunter87

#38 Post by Hunter87 »

Sim G wrote:
MistAgain wrote:Police forces claim they are short of cash and manpower .

So they go swanning round mob handed .

That gives them reason to complain to Home Office that FAC and SGC fees should go up .

My force had to cut 500 officers and 1000 support staff. Their work didn’t “go away” it had to be picked up by someone. In today’s climate, if they turn up at your door it’s because they really need to turn up at your door. The luxury of “swanning around mob handed” disappeared 10 years ogo!

Well said! I agree 100%
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#39 Post by HH1 »

dromia wrote: However the OP's post seems to suggest that in this particular case it is more than just pertaining to individual situations but a blanket approach based on the number of firearms held regardless of the local risk.
Yes, Operation Chaxis has been a decision from higher up in management. I was told it was being influenced by things going on within the Home Office...
Lancs_Oakley
Home club or Range: Diggle

#40 Post by Lancs_Oakley »

Why an op? Sounds strange to me that they go to the trouble of getting a named op for something that should be quite simple. Query their DB for anyone with >12 entries on their FAC. Sort highest first and start visiting people top down.... BAU rather than going to the trouble of a full blown operation. Strange.