Hearing protection

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Hearing protection

#11 Post by JSC »

I've used both and some others. My views:

Peltor TEP-100

Pros
Use replaceable ear buds so will always seal properly in ear
Rechargeable battery system very well designed and works well
Not as expensive to buy or run as many other in-ear electronic defenders
Built well and is operated with a single button so should last
Cons
Although gun shot noise is very well suppressed, background noise is sometimes too amplified even at the lower setting (2 levels can be set). However, when turned off they will be as effective as normal earplugs so in competition when you don't want background distractions, that's the way to go.
Audio quality also not quite as good as others I've used, but that's a subjective thing.

CENS

Pros
Good sound quality
Adjustable volume control, so you have complete control over background amplification
Moulded ear plugs can give a very good seal and be very comfortable when correctly made (although some people don't get on with them it should be said)
Cons
More expensive than most.
Volume control (small dial) is a bit fragile. I had two break in a few years outside warranty and it cost £80 to fix.
Battery life poor
Moulded plugs will need to be renewed every 2 years or so (because your ear canal changes over time)
Battery compartment can let moisture in so it's essential to make sure they're dried out if used in high humidity

I've also used a pair very similar to the CENS which had a button to control volume rather than the dial. They were more robust and the battery life was much better, but they still suffered from moisture getting in the battery compartment and ultimately one of them failed completely just after the 2 year warranty so Id have to buy a new one at which point I decided to try the TEP-100 and I'm using those currently.

I'd also say my mind has been changed WRT moulded vs foam plugs. Although I knew I'd have to have new moulds done every few years, inevitably I didn't and I'd have one plug leaking slightly every now and then which isn't good.

The thing about hearing loss from loud noises is it can happen any time. You could be using sub-standard ear protection for several years but then one day have badly fitting ear protector and one shot will do some damage. So it is essential to ensure whatever ear protection you use has a perfect seal in the ear canal (or over your ears if you use muffs) at all times, or you're going to risk damage. Food for thought maybe?

Hope that helps.