Electronic hearing protection - recommendations

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

Electronic hearing protection - recommendations

#1 Post by Geek »

I am looking to purchase two sets of electronic ear defenders (reasonably priced) for my son (age 14) and I what would you recommend?

I am aware that there are vast price differences, and the most expensive is not always the best.

I looked at the shooting show yesterday, but didn't find anything.

Best wishes and thank you.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Rockhopper

Re: Electronic hearing protection - recommendations

#2 Post by Rockhopper »

The ones that fit your particular head shape are the best ones. Howard Light left gaps under my ears for me.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#3 Post by GeeRam »

Rockhopper wrote:The ones that fit your particular head shape are the best ones. Howard Light left gaps under my ears for me.
^This.

I found the same with Howard Light's as well, and at the NEC Shooting Show back in Feb, I tried a set of MSA Supreme Pro-X with the optional soft foam cup seals. Although on special offer at the show they still weren't cheap by any means, but, they are the best electronic ones I've had so far (3rd pair now) and are supremely comfortable.
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#4 Post by strangesam »

beware of how much protection they provide, I've seen electronics ones as low as 16dB, which is terrible. You want 26+dB really
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#5 Post by JSC »

'Reasonably priced' is fine as long as you don't compromise quality. As said above, you need to look at the specifications and make absolutely sure they fully cover all around his ears when HE puts them on. The electronics are usually very similar between brands but that isn't usually why they aren't effective, it's the design and material the ear cups are made from which is most important.

As I mentioned in the other thread about in-ear protection, it can take just one shot to damage someone's hearing, whether they are young or old.

One of the best forms of protection are the yellow EAR classic foam earplugs.
Even better would be to use those together with a good set of earmuffs, but I realise that negates the point of using electronic defenders.

I think you both need to 'try before you buy' but personally I would rather spend a bit more money on a recognised top brand such as Peltor. (No, I'm not paid by Peltor!)
MrD

#6 Post by MrD »

As other have said, fit and specs for noise reduction. Also make sure you can shoot with them, there are some 'fat' ones which make getting a good cheek-weld nearly impossible. Other thing I'd suggest is choose ones which automatically turn off after a certain amount of time. I used to have 3M(?) ones with a rotary on/off/volume. These little bleeders were easily knocked 'on' in transit and then stayed on until the batteries died.

Donald
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#7 Post by WelshShooter »

I shoot fullbore in a semi-enclosed space, so I double up on hearing protection if someone is shooting next to me. I use a set of in ear foams and a generic set of over ear protection. The foams on their own work really well, so long as you fit them properly!! You need to squeeze them down and insert deep into your ear to work properly. The over ear headphones (cost around a ten pounds) usually go on top if someone is using a short barreled 308 or similar next door to me. I've used some more expensive electric ear defenders which have not worked as well as the above.

Foams
https://www.shooting-supplies.eu/en/pro ... i-viz.html
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

I don't think anyone is going to be able to give you a definitive answer and with his age taken into account i think you're just going to have to try to try as many as you can.
DVC
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#9 Post by Lancs Lad »

Howard Leight foam plugs for me.
As stated previously, just make sure that they are fitted properly and you will have no issues with noise or cheek weld.
I have tried the electronic ear defenders but didn't like either the fit or the comfort over a period of time. In addition, I prefer to wear a cap when shooting and this tends to make for a poor cup seal, hence the preference for foam plugs.

LL
BamBam

#10 Post by BamBam »

Peltor sport tactical 500, best seal around the ears for me, with hat and glasses. NR of 26db.
Not sure about UK price yet, they should be over here soon.