Getting reticle straight

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Gazza

Getting reticle straight

#1 Post by Gazza »

Is there a quick and foolproof wtf way of getting the reticle perfectly horizontal on the rifle without buggering around for 30 mins like I have just done?
It seemed to be off ever so minutely every time i nipped it up. In the end I'm not even sure I'm seeing it straight even if it is! wallhead
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

Re: Getting reticle straight

#2 Post by Les »

I use as many small spirit level inserts - courtesy of ebay - as I can fit on the stock to make sure the rifle is level, and look through the scope at the brick wall of the house opposite.

I work on the assumption that the builder has laid the bricks straight (!!?), so the horizontal gap between the bricks is a good guide to make sure the reticle is level.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#3 Post by 20series »

Shooting Shed scope levelling system, like everything Mr Ovenpaa makes, it's a shiney thing of beauty...

http://shootingshed.co.uk/oscom/index.p ... b703a5d1e8

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#4 Post by safetyfirst »

A plumb line is another good source of a very vertical thing. Or a bit of cheese on some string.

When you’re done, you can eat the cheese.

If anything tries to come for the cheese before you get there, you can shoot it and eat that too.
condorman
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Tamar Rangers Rifle Club,Ranges Paracombe-north devon & Millpool(MOD) bodmin moor cornwall

#5 Post by condorman »

fingerscrossed Or get a Spuhr mount with a built in spirit level and comes with a wedge to level the scope :p Expensive yes but you only buy once goodjob
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#6 Post by Triffid »

Mount the scope in the rings so it's held firmly, but you can still rotate it. Get the eye relief correct.
Using a straight a line on the floor like a floorboard or tile edge, line the toe and heel of the rifle butt along the line. Then look downwards, the wrong way through the scope . . . you should be able to see the line on the floor super-imposed with the scope reticule. Rotate the scope until the two line up and tighten the scope rings. Job done.

Triffid
Gazza

#7 Post by Gazza »

Thanks folks,
A few good ideas there so after the royal wedding has finished I'll start again! wtf