Steel shipping container suitable for gun cabinet?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Primer

Steel shipping container suitable for gun cabinet?

#1 Post by Primer »

Has anyone mounted a gun cabinet inside a standard 20ft shipping container, if so did you have to meet any other security standards set by your FEO?

I'm interested as we live in an annexe of a farmhouse and as its so small we rent a shipping container at a self store place in town for alot of our possessions but just brought myself one that's now located on the farm and wondered if anyone had ever used one to mount a gun cabinet to as currently my guns are stored at another location due to no room in the annexe, thought I would ask on here before approaching firearms dept.
When people ask stupid questions, I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

Re: Steel shipping container suitable for gun cabinet?

#2 Post by Thorney »

The problem you'll have is if there is access to it, especially from behind and ISO containers are easy to to cut.

Cops also dont like isolated buildings, garage so its location would be key I'd say.

We have one at the range but its only used for day storage never over night.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#3 Post by Daryll »

Yes, we have several containers at our range, for target storage, lawnmovers, clay traps etc...

They've been proken into on several occasions, despite having high security padlocks enclosed in welded steel boxes, so only the bottom of the lock is accessible.

Last time it looked like they'd attached a cable from a winch to the bottom of the door and tried to pull the door off!!
knewmans

#4 Post by knewmans »

I have been to an RFD whose gun room was a shipping container complete with barred windows. Not sure what other security measures were in place.
Ken
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#5 Post by DaveB »

I have often seen shipping containers used as security cabinets in NZ, but in all cases they were lined with steel security mesh covered by minimum 1/2 inch plywood, had the door reinforced and had the locking mechanism changed to a standard safe lock. They were also inside a larger building, and had alarm sensors for a monitored alarms system inside the container and on the approaches to it as well. Getting it modified to the point where it would be approved may make it impractical.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#6 Post by Les »

There is a well known RFD in Scotland - living in a rural area - who operates out of a container in his garden. The only way to get a definite answer is to contact your local FEO and ank him/her what the situation is regarding the use of containers in your area.
Robbo

#7 Post by Robbo »

I've seen shipping containers used, but heavily armoured with plate inside.

Like one of the previous posters mentioned, they're quite thin and easy to cut. The one I saw was plated with a minimum of 6mm plate on the inside....
Lancs_Oakley
Home club or Range: Diggle

#8 Post by Lancs_Oakley »

Seen them used many times as others have stated.
Expect to have to do some modifications.
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#9 Post by Andy632 »

Daryll wrote:Yes, we have several containers at our range, for target storage, lawnmovers, clay traps etc...

They've been proken into on several occasions, despite having high security padlocks enclosed in welded steel boxes, so only the bottom of the lock is accessible.

Last time it looked like they'd attached a cable from a winch to the bottom of the door and tried to pull the door off!!

We put windows into our target store so the scrotes could see inside that there was nothing worth nicking.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#10 Post by Dark Skies »

Andy632 wrote:
Daryll wrote:Yes, we have several containers at our range, for target storage, lawnmovers, clay traps etc...

We put windows into our target store so the scrotes could see inside that there was nothing worth nicking.
I do the same thing in the car when parked outside our club - leave the glovebox open to save me a speculative broken window.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."