The Thin End Of The Wedge

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

The Thin End Of The Wedge

#1 Post by pe4king »

This is now in force in Kent
https://www.kent.police.uk/advice/firea ... viewmode=0
There is a letter template which says the applicant will bare any cost, this is also defined in the guidelines. Quite simply no letter no certificate.
Is this applicable any where else ?.
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: The Thin End Of The Wedge

#2 Post by dromia »

This a bloody disgrace and the "representative" bodies are doing diddly squat over it other than relishing the shafting we are taking on their behalf!!!!!!

Why are we as a sector having to fund a public safety requirement. Do football supporters, or event audiences have to pay for a police and medical presence at their events?

Why are the dr's charging? other than the fact that they are greedy b@stards, the BMA advised them not to comply with the original agreement on the grounds of conscientious objection, seem that a Dr's conscience can be bought for a few tens of pounds. I am certain that me paying this fee will not create any more GPs or reduce the minimum two week waiting time I currently have to see my GP. It will just disappear into their pits of avarice.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

That has been in force in Lincolnshire for a few months now.

Lincolnshire was the first county to enforce it and I am sure the rest of the country will follow suit.

BASC has said it is a disgrace however apart from that we all know it will stand.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

BASC is the bloody disgrace!

They should be mobilising their membership and all legal gun owners over this or we are indeed doomed the HO will just see this as weakness and without meaningful leadership from our "national" organisations we are weak indeed.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#5 Post by Dark Skies »

This is the link where Kent Police appear to cheerfully admit to disregarding Home Office guidance.

https://www.kent.police.uk/news/policin ... plications

I've read that Nick Hurd, the minister responsible for firearm licensing, has said the Home Office plans to abandon the current system that was agreed in 2016. Given that Kent Police have already embarked upon this policy one either has to assume they are jumping the gun or it's a done deal. My gut feeling is it is the latter.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#6 Post by phaedra1106 »

And of course police Scotland have been doing this for almost 2 years with no repercussions ****
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

We have to decide as a “community” what pi$$es us off about this? Is it the information provided on our medical history, which I’m led to believe is only provided in the affirmative, “ Does A have dependace on drugs, if yes give details...” or is it the fact that a GP may charge us a sh1t load of money?

For me, it’s another level of bureaucracy that gets my goat. My GP is in short, a right throbber! I avoid the fecker like the plague! And I know I’ll pay through the nose for it given he charged 150 quid for ten minutes form filling when we were applying to foster!!!

But that said, there’s a situation of an acquaintance that had his FAC revoked a little while ago because he was taking enough psychotropic medication it would have killed a small rhinosaurus! No one knew the risk he posed, which was only discovered when he was howling at the moon, naked, in the middle of the town centre.....! I don’t want to be shooting next to someone who the DVLA took his driving licence, but police still issue a certificate to because they don’t know what the agency in Swansea does!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#8 Post by Daryll »

I haven't seen my Dr for over 10 years... so what does he know of my current mental state..?
Christel
Site Admin

#9 Post by Christel »

The system is flawed however I am guessing it was the best the decision makers could come up with to appease the masses.

...or are the masses in reality indifferent about the whole affair and there is a bigger picture emerging?
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#10 Post by Dark Skies »

By the time politicians have started wasting thousands of trees' worth of paper cobbling pointless measures together the masses have long since news moved onto the next tragedy sensation to angrily tippitty-tap about on their mobile devices.

I'm convinced most of the expensive, pointless, pap politicians involve themselves in could be quietly and inexpensively dropped without being noticed once the fifteen minutes of 'something should be done, no matter how futile', has passed.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."