The end of English shooting YouTube channel

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: The end of English shooting YouTube channel

#241 Post by Sim G »

Thorney wrote:To give you an example, with the Times they kept asking for 'ranges' of different calibres, I knew what they wanted, they wanted a quote that said 'ooooh, these are lethal out to x meters' etc they wanted a sound byte, a quote, a snappy little hook to hang a shock on and you simply dont give them one. My answers were simple, there is no such things as range, all bullets are dangerous, it all depends on angle, wind, weather etc etc. If they wanted a 'fact' they can google it, but a 'fact' derived from a quote has greater weight as it means you can rely on it in different ways. In another life I had a lot of media training on this, the courses I was sent on were designed to try and trick to saying something you shouldnt, anyone who faces the media and wants to support legal gun ownership needs that kind of mentality I'm afraid.
Nutshell, in one, nothing more to say on that....!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Blair_Mc

#242 Post by Blair_Mc »

This guy has been asked to do one interview, not debate at a make or break public ballot on guns getting banned lol.

Fact is we need advocates in shooting who don't come off as a camouflage wearing, gun obsessed nut case or a shotgun carrying, tweed wrapped aristocrat. OK this guy isn't perfect however Callum is using the media exemption from having a FAC which is perfectly justifiable for him to do so. As far as I'm aware apart from his media stuff he has the same access to firearms as any non-FAC holder and that is exactly the group of people we, the shooting community need to engage with to change their views. On TV we need people who are as presentable as any TV presenter which this guy seems to be. Most presenters know nothing about the topics they talk about until they are primed by someone who does. Hell politicians are given cabinet positions they have no qualification to be doing and no one bats an eye lid at that.

If someone doesn't start putting themselves out there then our guns are going to be taken from us; you can either moan that it's him being asked for an interview or help the guy which will help your sport too.
I spend lots of money putting holes in paper.
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#243 Post by strangesam »

Fact is we need advocates in shooting who don't come off as a camouflage wearing, gun obsessed nut case or a shotgun carrying, tweed wrapped aristocrat.

Trouble is, to me he does come across as "camouflage wearing, gun obsessed nut case" (notwithstanding the lack of camouflage).. and it is fact that he had his FAC revoked, and this revocation upheld on appeal.

As such I'd really rather he didn't give the proportion of the population who want all private ownership of firearms to end any more ammunition against the shooting community. Without the media training and knowledge of people like Thorney, its all to easy for the media to spin appearances like this in any way they want, and at the moment what they want appears to be to demonise sporting shooters of all types.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#244 Post by TattooedGun »

Blair_Mc wrote:This guy has been asked to do one interview, not debate at a make or break public ballot on guns getting banned lol.

Fact is we need advocates in shooting who don't come off as a camouflage wearing, gun obsessed nut case or a shotgun carrying, tweed wrapped aristocrat. OK this guy isn't perfect however Callum is using the media exemption from having a FAC which is perfectly justifiable for him to do so. As far as I'm aware apart from his media stuff he has the same access to firearms as any non-FAC holder and that is exactly the group of people we, the shooting community need to engage with to change their views. On TV we need people who are as presentable as any TV presenter which this guy seems to be. Most presenters know nothing about the topics they talk about until they are primed by someone who does. Hell politicians are given cabinet positions they have no qualification to be doing and no one bats an eye lid at that.

If someone doesn't start putting themselves out there then our guns are going to be taken from us; you can either moan that it's him being asked for an interview or help the guy which will help your sport too.
As your signature suggests, you're a noob at all this. With the best will in the world, shooting sports in the UK are filled with politics, something you will learn more and more as you go on your shooting journey. Along the way you'll realise that those who shout the loudest and like to be in the public eye the most are the enemy to the shooting community for the most part.

Case in point Mr Yardley - with an ego of the "go to person" in the industry, demonises vast swathes of legal shooters as "sas types" and paints us all in a bad light, further helping the anti-shooting media.

What we don't need is someone speaking on behalf of all shooters who themselves has shown to be of poor character, to the point where they've had their FAC revoked, and appeal turned down. Why not Connors, who works closely with Callum, why does Callum NEED to be the person to go on TV? The fact is he doesn't, he wants it. He wants his 5 minutes of fame, regardless of the cost to FAC holders, because frankly, he isn't one, why should everyone else get something he's been disallowed.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#245 Post by Dark Skies »

In the true spirit of the British shooting enthusiast a far greater proportion of people will devote a disproportionate amount of time angrily stabbing out reams of text decrying this Callum chap over actually doing something constructive to preserve shooting.
This is one of the reasons why we're all eventually going to lose shooting sports. Well, you lot are, I've been quietly laying the foundations for a life in the States. I suggest those that can begin doing the same.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
David TS
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms, LERA, SEESA

#246 Post by David TS »

Blair_Mc wrote:This guy has been asked to do one interview, not debate at a make or break public ballot on guns getting banned lol.

He is a clown. I don't want him speaking on my behalf.
David TS
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms, LERA, SEESA

#247 Post by David TS »

Dark Skies wrote:This is one of the reasons why we're all eventually going to lose shooting sports. Well, you lot are, I've been quietly laying the foundations for a life in the States.

But how will that help preserve shooting sports in the UK?
ordnance

#248 Post by ordnance »

In the true spirit of the British shooting enthusiast a far greater proportion of people will devote a disproportionate amount of time angrily stabbing out reams of text decrying this Callum chap over actually doing something constructive to preserve shooting.
This is one of the reasons why we're all eventually going to lose shooting sports. Well, you lot are, I've been quietly laying the foundations for a life in the States. I suggest those that can begin doing the same.
+ 1
Sim G
Past Supporter

#249 Post by Sim G »

Dark Skies wrote:In the true spirit of the British shooting enthusiast a far greater proportion of people will devote a disproportionate amount of time angrily stabbing out reams of text decrying this Callum chap over actually doing something constructive to preserve shooting.

You and I are diametrically opposed as to how we view Callum's efforts....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#250 Post by TattooedGun »

Dark Skies wrote:In the true spirit of the British shooting enthusiast a far greater proportion of people will devote a disproportionate amount of time angrily stabbing out reams of text decrying this Callum chap over actually doing something constructive to preserve shooting.
Sorry? What?

I'm honourary (volunteer) chairman of a club that takes on new members as often as we can handle them, we run a juniors probation scheme and teach them the NSRA curriculum along with bringing on and teaching new members. We also have guest days throughout the year as time allows to introduce a wider audience to the sport.. I also work my free time to renovate and improve the shooting facilities for members and non-members...

And you're making plans to move to the states. I wonder who does more for preserving shooting in the UK... 8-)