The end of English shooting YouTube channel

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
JammyGuns

Re: The end of English shooting YouTube channel

#61 Post by JammyGuns »

Whoa, hold on there, we don't know that.

As someone who followed his channel almost from the beginning I can agree that, as its popularity increased, there were certainly more and more Americans making 2A related points. However I don't really remember that many Brits speaking in a similar vein - perhaps once in a while if the subject arose you might get someone banging on about an English bill of rights etc. I certainly think it's a total stretch to refer to the channel as extreme though! Mostly just regular shooters and A LOT of new people who used his vids to find out and ultimately start the sport. I saw this time and time again from people thanking him in the comments, so credit it where it's due there. If this sport is going to survive we do need new people wanting to get involved. So yeah, some idiots but the vast majority just normal people sharing their passion. Really anytime you start something like that you're always going to attract a range of different people on social media, it's inevitable.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#62 Post by Sim G »

JammyGuns wrote:Whoa, hold on there, we don't know that.

All I have done is quote some statistics and generalised. Which is actually far more credible that him being branded an extremist! His own video stated his personal life became public and his public life was scrutinised. Since this kicked off, there are those who do know Callum have told, across a number of forums, that his certificates were pulled before his social media was scrutinised. Again Callum himself stated he did not heed the warnings. Again, he should have just faded away into the background and tried to put his life back together.

But, if the police think that you are disingenuous is it any surprise either that everything else will be blamed for his downfall rather than accepting the full responsibility himself?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#63 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote:From my CID days; a victim of domestic abuse will on average suffer that abuse 34 times before they involve the police. Once the police are involved, on average there will be eight incidents before the victim will support police/intervention. It’s very, very difficult to prosecute if there is no victim evidence, unless testimony can be obtained from an independent and credible, third party witness. There’s an awful lot of stuff than can go on behind closed doors...

I said at the very beginning of this that there is a victim and it’s not Callum. Likewise, as much as people want to believe that it was the thought police and his YouTube channel that brought him crashing down, they are very much mistaken.
Things may have changed since my law grad days (people didn't walk out on lectures being offended / distressed at the unpleasant details of criminal cases for starters) but there's still a presumption of innocence until proven guilty (regardless of what rags such as the Daily Maul may believe). I've done a search against his name and come up empty for anything that suggests domestic abuse. There has been some vague talk about allegations that were withdrawn (about what we are not told). However, unless your comments have some actual basis in demonstrable fact this forum should be very wary of dabbling in areas where it could end up getting sued.

And regarding comments on thought police etc ... well this what happens when the authorities aren't completely transparent in these matters. If a FAC has been pulled in the public interest we should be told why. If for no other reason that to avoid conjecture and to serve as a warning.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Pesty
Home club or Range: The Balby Rifle and Revolver Club

#64 Post by Pesty »

Sim G wrote:
JammyGuns wrote:Whoa, hold on there, we don't know that.

All I have done is quote some statistics and generalised. Which is actually far more credible that him being branded an extremist! His own video stated his personal life became public and his public life was scrutinised. Since this kicked off, there are those who do know Callum have told, across a number of forums, that his certificates were pulled before his social media was scrutinised. Again Callum himself stated he did not heed the warnings. Again, he should have just faded away into the background and tried to put his life back together.

But, if the police think that you are disingenuous is it any surprise either that everything else will be blamed for his downfall rather than accepting the full responsibility himself?
No you quote clearly Implied that Callum was a domestic abuser.you said he wasn’t a victim somebody else was and quoted stats about abuse.

Why would you quote random stats if you were not implying anything. Guilty until proven innocent eh.

Alledgedly they were pulled then whatever charges dropped then they looked into his on line presence. So it played a part.
JSC
Past Supporter

#65 Post by JSC »

Sim G wrote:
I said at the very beginning of this that there is a victim and it’s not Callum.
Who is the victim and do you have first hand knowledge about the facts of this case?
Sim G
Past Supporter

#66 Post by Sim G »

The account was given to me by someone in in his wider social circle who had dealt with him professionally through the gun trade. It was stated that for whatever reason, Callum “lost it” to the extent that he smashed up his own home. Police attended and allegations by a partner were made. His guns were removed and his certificates removed. The investigation went no where into the allegations but the police weren’t happy with either his version of events and or general attitude in regards to fitness to hold firearms. Representative organisations were involved and he was advised to keep a low profile. He didn’t and ty police revoked his certificates an the basis that he posed a risk to public safety.

That as how good to me.

Coupled then with his goodbye speech, where despite wishing to appear open, he is far from that. He has muddied the waters and opened up his scenario to nigh on world wide discussion as its appeared on forums round the world, particularly those concerned with “freedom and interference from the authorities. He has downplayed the real reason he no longer can own firearms in the UK and that is simply, he can’t be trusted.

But you crack on and tell each other how outraged you are.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Sim G
Past Supporter

#67 Post by Sim G »

Using a phone so full of typos above, but you’ll get the gist.

Hunter87

#68 Post by Hunter87 »

Sim G wrote:The account was given to me by someone in in his wider social circle who had dealt with him professionally through the gun trade. It was stated that for whatever reason, Callum “lost it” to the extent that he smashed up his own home. Police attended and allegations by a partner were made. His guns were removed and his certificates removed. The investigation went no where into the allegations but the police weren’t happy with either his version of events and or general attitude in regards to fitness to hold firearms. Representative organisations were involved and he was advised to keep a low profile. He didn’t and ty police revoked his certificates an the basis that he posed a risk to public safety.

That as how good to me.

Coupled then with his goodbye speech, where despite wishing to appear open, he is far from that. He has muddied the waters and opened up his scenario to nigh on world wide discussion as its appeared on forums round the world, particularly those concerned with “freedom and interference from the authorities. He has downplayed the real reason he no longer can own firearms in the UK and that is simply, he can’t be trusted.

But you crack on and tell each other how outraged you are.
Thanks Sim G that’s exactly what I wanted to know.
JSC
Past Supporter

#69 Post by JSC »

I'm not sure who's supposed to be outraged, but it's not me.

So you haven't got any first hand information and you haven't told us who you think the victim is?

That's all I wanted to establish.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#70 Post by breacher »

Having been through a revocation myself - there is always two sides to every story.

Not sure if its typical of the behaviour of FLMs but in my case, he practically lied in order to have me revoked - I represented myself at the Crown Court Appeal and won.

I managed to prove that the report submitted by the FLM to his Supt ( which the Supt bases his decision on whether or not to revoke ) was at best "spun" to make it look bad for me and at worst deliberately written in a particular context with a view to obtain a revocation rather than explain the facts.

1991, Day one, week one at Hendon we were all shown two statements made regarding an incident as part of a classroom lesson.

Both statements had no actual lies or falsehoods in them. However, in each, different words and phrases were used.

And reading them, one could scarcely believe they described the same incident.

I would dearly love to see the FLM report to his Supt on this particular case !
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire