The end of English shooting YouTube channel

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: The end of English shooting YouTube channel

#71 Post by Dark Skies »

Hunter87 wrote: Thanks Sim G that’s exactly what I wanted to know.
Is it?
I wouldn't be comfortable in passing those details around without being able to prove it.
I have no idea if the account is accurate, partially accurate with bits thrown in, or just gossip several people down the line.

English defamation law is very different to criminal law in that the burden of proof is incumbent upon the defendant rather than the plaintiff. In criminal law it's the other way around, of course.
Libel on the internet has far reaching consequences for the person making the allegations, anybody that passes them on, the forum it appears on and everyone responsible for repeating them down the line. It's extremely expensive to defend and the costs horrendous if lost. I wouldn't feel at all secure passing on somebody said somebody said such and such without really credible evidence.

I would submit that it would be a good idea to have a moderator delete all references to this unless there's some official statement to shore it up from the police involved.

Defending an action for defamation could financially wipe out the forum and the owners - let alone the cost of losing.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
joe

#72 Post by joe »

Sim G wrote:The account was given to me by someone in in his wider social circle who had dealt with him professionally through the gun trade. It was stated that for whatever reason, Callum “lost it” to the extent that he smashed up his own home. Police attended and allegations by a partner were made. His guns were removed and his certificates removed. The investigation went no where into the allegations but the police weren’t happy with either his version of events and or general attitude in regards to fitness to hold firearms. Representative organisations were involved and he was advised to keep a low profile. He didn’t and ty police revoked his certificates an the basis that he posed a risk to public safety.

That as how good to me.

Coupled then with his goodbye speech, where despite wishing to appear open, he is far from that. He has muddied the waters and opened up his scenario to nigh on world wide discussion as its appeared on forums round the world, particularly those concerned with “freedom and interference from the authorities. He has downplayed the real reason he no longer can own firearms in the UK and that is simply, he can’t be trusted.

But you crack on and tell each other how outraged you are.
1) how does ‘smashing’ up your own home constitute danger to the public ?

2) general attuide ?? Meaning what ? Expressing opinions that the police don’t like ? Or a genurine concern that his attitude towards gun saftey / behaviour / trustworthiness etc might make him not a ‘fit person to be entrusted ‘ to hold a FAC ???
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#73 Post by breacher »

Was number 1 really a serious question ?
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
BamBam

#74 Post by BamBam »

Over on the airgun bbs there's a similar thread and as he started posting over there back before he even had firearms they know him quite well.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#75 Post by safetyfirst »

breacher wrote:Was number 1 really a serious question ?
this.
toffe wrapper

#76 Post by toffe wrapper »

Yes if joe was also JOE118118 on ARRSE till 2014. by the post on ARRSE re LMT / L129A1 and vortex scope & post on here I think he may well be.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#77 Post by breacher »

toffe wrapper wrote:

Yes if joe was also JOE118118 on ARRSE till 2014. by the post on ARRSE re LMT / L129A1 and vortex scope & post on here I think he may well be.
Bloody hell ! Just looked at a few of Joe118118 threads and posts over there - I dont have the words kukkuk

I am not sure I know "Joe" - I am not sure if that Joe is also "Joe118118" neither.

I know someone from CSR who has a different name but MIGHT be Joe.

Its all very confusing.........................
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
joe

#78 Post by joe »

safetyfirst wrote:
this.
It came across wrong, I thought as in he was having argument with his girlfriend and stuff got thrown around police called, no further action ! Didn’t realise (or read properly) that he actually damaged his home ! Then of course that points to something not right
Last edited by joe on Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe

#79 Post by joe »

breacher wrote:
toffe wrapper wrote:

Bloody hell ! Just looked at a few of Joe118118 threads and posts over there - I dont have the words kukkuk

I am not sure I know "Joe" - I am not sure if that Joe is also "Joe118118" neither.

I know someone from CSR who has a different name but MIGHT be Joe.

Its all very confusing.........................
I have no idea who ‘joe 118’ is and it’s not me either !
Sim G
Past Supporter

#80 Post by Sim G »

Dark Skies wrote: Is it?
I wouldn't be comfortable in passing those details around without being able to prove it.
I have no idea if the account is accurate, partially accurate with bits thrown in, or just gossip several people down the line.

English defamation law is very different to criminal law in that the burden of proof is incumbent upon the defendant rather than the plaintiff. In criminal law it's the other way around, of course.
Libel on the internet has far reaching consequences for the person making the allegations, anybody that passes them on, the forum it appears on and everyone responsible for repeating them down the line. It's extremely expensive to defend and the costs horrendous if lost. I wouldn't feel at all secure passing on somebody said somebody said such and such without really credible evidence.

I would submit that it would be a good idea to have a moderator delete all references to this unless there's some official statement to shore it up from the police involved.

Defending an action for defamation could financially wipe out the forum and the owners - let alone the cost of losing.

Scaremongering. You honestly think he could present a case under s1 of the 2013 Act? It wouldn’t take much to offer the statutory defences under s2, 3 or 4!

My point was very simple at the beginning of this thread and it was based initially on his “farewell video”. Since then, I have been told many things concerning this individual. After 26 years of locking up bad people and listening to their continual minimising of their actions and deflecting the blame to others, this was classic in the video. He should have just faded away. Now, there are just more and more disparaging stories surfacing about him.

And those that know him scoff at the concept that this has come about because he has been declared “extremist” by the police. But that’s what’s been jumped upon. And not just on this forum, but numerous and world wide! When the question “Why?” is raised, it’s been answered with, “He loves being a celebrity...” He may also have believed that there would be an outcry of “Please don’t go Callum”.... now there’s an arrogance! I heard one description that stated; “He thought he was the f****** British gun Messiah!”

Our sport and gun rights in general are in desperate need of several credible, honest and reliable ambassadors, that there is no doubt. “English Shooting” doesn’t even come close!

For me, there is nothing further to add.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!