The end of English shooting YouTube channel

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: The end of English shooting YouTube channel

#21 Post by Blackstuff »

Thorney wrote:Its stuff like this has has put our plans for a channel on hold over and over again.
Judging by some of the things Callum has said if you do set one up it looks like the comments section should be disabled as he got flack for things other people had said on his videos!
DVC
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#22 Post by Fedaykin »

A sad situation Callum was rare in British shooting, a private citizen prepared to put his head above the parapet and promote shooting. Remember he went on the BBC as well. He wasn't always 100% technically right but he always came over as polite and reasonable even when being attacked by others.

Unfortunately the comment section to his videos were full of Americans who didn't understand that the 2nd Amendment does not apply to the UK and British Self defence fantasists who would go into great lengths explaining what they would do to anybody they didn't like and if they could have a Glock to do it all the better!

Unfortunately this exposes or reminds us of a wider issue. The Police are actively looking into Social Media used by those who participating in Sports shooting then using it as an excuse to revoke their SGC and FAC. A number of people have had this happened due to posts put up on Facebook. As a rule I have a no comments about shooting policy on Facebook now and make sure my profile is locked down strongly. It is a worrying precedence that comments made by other people often in different countries can be used as a reason to revoke.

This pretty much leaves RACKNLOAD, Team Wild and Fieldsports Britain as the only UK based Youtube channels still producing regular shooting related content. I am guessing this will send a chill wind through those channels especially RACKNLOAD who has done stuff with Callum and dared to express some personal opinions at times.
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
Lancs_Oakley
Home club or Range: Diggle

#23 Post by Lancs_Oakley »

Sounds strange to me. I have watched a fair few of his videos and nothing on there that would make me think they would revoke his FAC. He said it was revoked 2 years ago.
Anyway, this kind of stuff is why I don't post anything about firearms on my Facebook page.

I guess we might see some other UK based youtubers come under the spot light, I have always wondered about the legality of some of their activities given they are often reviewing firearms which may, perhaps, not be in line with their permissions on their FAC. I.e not actually vermin shooting as an example.
Fedaykin

#24 Post by Fedaykin »

As far as I can make Police Licensing departments are using as reasons to revoke if you have a public social media presence:

1) Threat to the security of your guns
2) Any opinion expressed that is not wholly supportive of current Licensing policy even if the opinion is expressed by someone else but on your social media channel

Of course find me a word in Firearms licensing that gives any kind of guidance around Social Media usage.

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#25 Post by dromia »

I remember being told at great length on here as to how social media was going to be the future and saviour of the shooting sports looks like it is just hastening its demise.

You would think that our "national" organisations would at least be putting out some guidance and perhaps challenging how it may be used against shooting especially as this social media thing seems to be gathering some users.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#26 Post by Pete »

This'll probably make some shooters who use soshul meedja lose a bit of sleep trying to remember if they ever twitted anything controversial...............
As for broadcasting the fact that you are a shooter and you own guns on such a platform, well words fail me...........a possible Darwin candidate??

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#27 Post by JSC »

It's a trap many 'vloggers' and social media content producers fall into.

They want to monetise their content or become very popular in order to promote their products or services but because there's so much of it out there they have to do something attention-grabbing or maybe a bit controversial to get the clicks or views. There must be millions of 'review' channels on YT, but the ones with a lot of subscribers usually have something 'edgy' about them.

The trouble is, once it's out there, it's out there and if what has been said or done offends or is considered 'extreme' by the lawmakers then it's too late to do anything about it.
Bolte
Home club or Range: NRA

#28 Post by Bolte »

Fedaykin

#29 Post by Fedaykin »

To be honest with a good lawyer I think the revocation could have been challenged (unless there are other things going on in Callums life) but that is a big step to take.

In his video he states BASC told him to keep his head down so he sort advice albeit I do rather question their effectiveness if this is what has gone down.

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
Sim G
Past Supporter

#30 Post by Sim G »

I watched his videos a couple of times but that was it. As intimated above, they were, to my mind, amateurish and boring, regardless of how “well intentioned”.

Watching the video in the OP, because of the tone of this thread where he may have been a “victim”, I do t think he is. By his own admission, he was the orchestrator of his own downfall. Obviously he has found himself in a nasty situation. Allegations have been made and he’s been given a warning about his behaviour that has perhaps come to light after the allegations have been withdrawn. He, again by his own admission, failed to heed these warnings. He has no doubt fvcked up in a big way and the BASC told him “to keep his head down”, so chances are they also knew he’d been a knob...

It may work out for him, it may not, but as opposed to the police being the bogey man here, they can actually only work with what’s in front of them. Don’t believe everything you read in the Daily Mail. Not all coppers are miserable, corrupt bullies....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!