Question on GDPR

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
MrD

Re: Question on GDPR

#11 Post by MrD »

A Scottish Government/Home Office Approved Club has to notify their local Firearms Licencing Dept. each year of any members who have resigned, or for any other reason are no longer members - in the latter case more likely as soon as they are no longer members. Notification must also be given of any member who has not attended a range day for 12 months.
To be a member, the club has to request a background check from the police and to do this provides name, address, date and place of birth.

Providing an annual list(after renewal date) is one way of ensuring that this is carried out. Incidentally clubs also have to keep records of members' attendances and use of firearms. This can be requested by police for FAC renewals and variations.

Donald
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/
MrD

#12 Post by MrD »

I should also have added that clubs are also obliged to notify any change of Secretary or Police Liaison Officer

Donald

davidh195
Past Supporter

#13 Post by davidh195 »

MrD wrote:
Providing an annual list(after renewal date) is one way of ensuring that this is carried out.

Donald
But is supplying a members list GDPR compliant? I feel the question is as Dromia wrote what is Firearms Certification's legal basis for needing this information.

David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......
toffe wrapper

#14 Post by toffe wrapper »

Hi
Follow link below, as a club sec you should be getting you information from all the sections it has.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/firearms-li ... e-guidance
MrD

#15 Post by MrD »

davidh195 wrote:
MrD wrote:
Providing an annual list(after renewal date) is one way of ensuring that this is carried out.

Donald
But is supplying a members list GDPR compliant? I feel the question is as Dromia wrote what is Firearms Certification's legal basis for needing this information.

David
Yes. GDPR by itself doesn't prevent passing any data on. Hypothetically we could pass our membership list to a magazine for example, as long as the members know about what we are doing with their data and agree to their data being passed on before it happens. We'd also have to ensure that whoever we pass it to is also GDPR compliant. GDPR is about ensuring that you keep your members informed about what you are doing (or going to do) with their data and have to opportunity to opt out of having it processed.

Passing on membership details such as name, address, DOB, membership status, attendance and firearms usage to the police is a legitimate use of their data as laid out in our club's statement.

Donald

johnson3392
Home club or Range: Blackburn, Altcar and Rossendale

#16 Post by johnson3392 »

As a new club secretary, the above is exactly my interpretation. We have a simple privacy statement that was issued as a one-off declaration to be completed by all club members prior to GDPR being introduced on 25 May 2018. We made it clear that personal information supplied by members may be shared if required on legitimate request by the police (and other parties) and their consent was required. You can see that a refusal would make it very difficult for them to remain a club member if it was a police request.

On perusal of members email addresses, I have noticed a fair amount of business addresses being used. I'm not sure I would want our club business being available to an unknown number of strangers so something else to think about?

So, as long as club members are aware of how we gather, store, use and process this information (and have consented to it), then there is no problem.
sysreq
Home club or Range: CRPC

#17 Post by sysreq »

As has been said that as you are carrying out your legal obligations under the firearms legislation this is allowed.
Should anyone query, if you should be sending this information then point them here:

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/gu ... bligation/