How to promote the sport?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

How to promote the sport?

#1 Post by Gh0st »

So following the whole English shooting thing I was wondering how people think we could effectively promote our sport?

Some of my favourite hobbies include shooting, photography and video... so a lot of them coincide with each other. I use my instagram mainly or personal facebook (although more private). But should we be fearful of doing so on these platforms... Youtuibe, Insta, Facebook etc.

For me i will continue to publish media but be mindful of the law in the UK and definitely not state anything i am 100% happy is fact,

Thoughts?
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

Re: How to promote the sport?

#2 Post by Thorney »

We begin filming a new series on Friday, all about all aspects of target shooting. Will be aimed at non shooters to introduce the various types of shooting sports and encourage people o have a go.

I have no doubt we will get flack for it sadly.
Gh0st

#3 Post by Gh0st »

That’s good to hear! I look forward to seeing it!

It is unfortunate that there are so many legalities around our sport! Keeping neutral and promote the sport not the law!
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#4 Post by froggy »

One thing is for sure, the future of the sport certainly does not lie with the boring bunch of old farts we are ...

Nearly all my 13 yr old son generation has some sort of "exposure/knowledge" of guns & shooting but on PS4. Give them the choice between trying a prone anschutz and an AR type fitted with an Eotech, and see which one they will pick first. In a similar way, tell them to stand/lie down still or to move from shooting place to barricade and see what they prefer - I think that gives us a good clue on how to recruit a good contingent for the future of our sport O:-)
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Alberto
Home club or Range: VPRC

#5 Post by Alberto »

Totally agree Froggy. My kids have all enjoyed shooting a lot but commented how it’s mostly old blokes. This is especially off putting for my 14 year old daughter. She’d love to be able to shoot with people her own age.
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - Marcus Tullius Cicero
Alberto
Home club or Range: VPRC

#6 Post by Alberto »

Looking forward to the videos Thorney. My suggestion would be to keep the politics to a minimum and get at least one young presenter.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - Marcus Tullius Cicero
Gh0st

#7 Post by Gh0st »

Agreed we need younger input into the sport.

Does this get pushed through the social media channels ?

shooting is not readily accessible in terms of access and costs.

Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#8 Post by Sixshot6 »

Gh0st wrote:Agreed we need younger input into the sport.

Does this get pushed through the social media channels ?

shooting is not readily accessible in terms of access and costs.
you could also promote places like Phoenix shooting in barnsley, they do the 22lr semi auto ala AR's and stuff plus section 2 shotties with 2+1 so its the stuff non license holders can do plus I guess you could push these places to do other things too?
https://www.phoenixrange.co.uk/
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

Love them or hate them but Youtube and Facebook have been massively beneficial for shooting sports and getting new blood in. They have opened up what had previously been a 'closed shop' in terms of the UK and unless you knew someone who was into shooting, live near a shooting ground or in a rural setting or get some other first hand experience its unlikely that you'd be exposed to it. Social media makes it much easier to arrange meetings/shoots, pass on information and otherwise communicate about shooting.

I know my Youtube channel has got dozens of people into practical shooting simply by showing people what can be done in this country in this respect, and as Froggy says, dynamic shooting is more appealing to most younger shooters.

Most of my videos are a simple record of competitions, however since getting my drone i've been doing more stylised/heavier post production stuff. I'm now going to try to find a video editing course to try to improve my production values/techniques.
DVC
Gh0st

#10 Post by Gh0st »

Blackstuff wrote:Love them or hate them but Youtube and Facebook have been massively beneficial for shooting sports and getting new blood in. They have opened up what had previously been a 'closed shop' in terms of the UK and unless you knew someone who was into shooting, live near a shooting ground or in a rural setting or get some other first hand experience its unlikely that you'd be exposed to it. Social media makes it much easier to arrange meetings/shoots, pass on information and otherwise communicate about shooting.

I know my Youtube channel has got dozens of people into practical shooting simply by showing people what can be done in this country in this respect, and as Froggy says, dynamic shooting is more appealing to most younger shooters.

Most of my videos are a simple record of competitions, however since getting my drone i've been doing more stylised/heavier post production stuff. I'm now going to try to find a video editing course to try to improve my production values/techniques.
Agreed, Love or Loathe social media, its here to stay!

There are some really good tutorials on YouTube for drone footage editing and post production!