Attention all MARS & Lever release owners

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Brian838
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Offa's Dyke.

Re: Attention all MARS & Lever release owners

#71 Post by Brian838 »

Blackstuff wrote:I'd never go back to a club that had members/an attitude like that, its basically what has got us into the pricarious position we're in today.
That's basically what I did. The club I'm with now, I shoot my VZ58 at G range Sennybridge. There are always straight-pull AK's, FAL's, AR's and the like there. Some people have been curious but in a positive way and have always been more than happy when I offer them to shoot a few rounds.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#72 Post by GeeRam »

JSC wrote:There's so much prejudice in shooting. It's pathetic and unnecessary, but I can't ever see it changing.
Indeed, and I can't ever see it changing either (except when the day comes around when there won't be a shooting community as they've banned everything 8-) )
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#73 Post by HH1 »

There are certain people like Mr Yardly who are against "black guns"....

As a NRA RCO, I am exactly the same safe person regardless of if I am using my Marlin under levers, my black Sig Sauer 522 or SGC Lever release 9mm.
There is no difference in me if I am using my beautiful Browning A5 125th Anniversary shotgun, wood stocked Beneili 828U or section 1 Benelli M1 Super 90 or M2 Practical shotguns.
Virtually all of my guns have been bought new and have only ever shot paper, clay or steel targets.

What I find bemusing is how no one bats an eyelid when people are using Lee Enfield rifles at the range, (which were the "Black guns" of their day) and likely have put men in the ground...... yet they get upset at the sight of a UK market specific "Black-gun" like the SGC Lever-release rifle which is designed purely as a target rifle.
James84

#74 Post by James84 »

HH1 wrote:What I find bemusing is how no one bats an eyelid when people are using Lee Enfield rifles at the range, (which were the "Black guns" of their day) and likely have put men in the ground......
My 1920 BSA SMLE spent most of its life with the South African Defence Force and the woodwork has been battered and coated with God knows what so many times that it is literally a 'black rifle'. Shoots brilliantly still!
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#75 Post by HH1 »

James048 wrote:
HH1 wrote:What I find bemusing is how no one bats an eyelid when people are using Lee Enfield rifles at the range, (which were the "Black guns" of their day) and likely have put men in the ground......
My 1920 BSA SMLE spent most of its life with the South African Defence Force and the woodwork has been battered and coated with God knows what so many times that it is literally a 'black rifle'. Shoots brilliantly still!
I'm not against old military rifles at all..... my Dad currently has six Lee Enfields that he loves shooting with.
Tacticool
Home club or Range: EMMR

#76 Post by Tacticool »

Blackstuff wrote:I'd never go back to a club that had members/an attitude like that, its basically what has got us into the pricarious position we're in today.
I am the same as you. At my club all the new blood are young and have played lots of video games. They obviously love the black rifles just as much as the classics - given enough time that snobby attitude is literally going to die out thankfully, we just have to hold back the politicians until that day!

Sent from my boing using "An application"
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#77 Post by GeeRam »

Tacticool wrote:
I am the same as you. At my club all the new blood are young and have played lots of video games. They obviously love the black rifles just as much as the classics - given enough time that snobby attitude is literally going to die out thankfully
I've witnessed the same snobby attitude but in reverse when I was looking for a club some years back when looking to return to shooting.....I was effectively shunned by one club I visited because I was primarily interested in WW1/WW2 era rifle rather than modern 'plastic fantastics'.

Fortunately the club I belong to doesn't give a fig what your interest is in as long as it goes bang and you can put a hole in the target. clapclap
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

Attention all MARS & Lever release owners

#78 Post by safetyfirst »

a MARS M1 Garand..

Oh my what a thought.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#79 Post by Dark Skies »

snayperskaya wrote:
Brian838 wrote:
JSC wrote:Brian, James, Just out of interest, what sort of firearms do these people who look down their nose at you shoot?
Bolt action 308’s by the looks of things. I don’t know what the guy in the shop owns but he was very enthusiastic about their new stock of tactical Sabatti bolt actions.
The guy who chuckled about VZ’s being legal in the first place, was also boasting that he owns a Chinese SKS that a friend keeps for him in Canada. Go figure.
And chances are these people, and those like them, won't bother contacting their MP etc because they think that because they don't own a MARS etc the ban won't have any impact on them, until it is their rifles they want to ban next! aaarggh
That might be a good thing though. I can just see people like that writing to their MP and suggesting other firearms that other people shoot could be thrown under the bus instead of theirs. Better they aren't motivated to write rather than have them stab others in the shooting community in the back.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#80 Post by snayperskaya »

You might be right there Mr Skies.......
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!