Importing & Customs

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

Re: Importing & Customs

#11 Post by Gh0st »

that's a long time.....
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#12 Post by Mattnall »

MistAgain wrote:Then you will have a 6 week wait for them to get proofed !
No you don't.

Only need to proof if you are going to transfer the firearm to another, if it is for personal use you don't need to.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
MistAgain

#13 Post by MistAgain »

Mattnall wrote:
No you don't.

Only need to proof if you are going to transfer the firearm to another, if it is for personal use you don't need to.
Ghost has stated that an RFD is handling the import , therefore the RFD has to get them proofed before the transfer to Ghost's FAC .

Apart from that , importers of non proofed firearms and pressure bearing components are supposed to notify the proof house of the import.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#14 Post by Mattnall »

MistAgain wrote:
Mattnall wrote:
No you don't.

Ghost has stated that an RFD is handling the import , therefore the RFD has to get them proofed before the transfer to Ghost's FAC .

Apart from that , importers of non proofed firearms and pressure bearing components are supposed to notify the proof house of the import.
Ah, missed that bit. Then the handling agents don't have to tell you anything, only have to talk to the importer.
I guess I assumed it was the other way as it is just as easy and cheaper to do it yourself (and not need to worry about proof). You may need to tell the proof house but that is only an email, it still only needs proof when it is transferred.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

Regardless of who imports it the London proof house has stated that all firearms if not already proofed must be submitted for proof upon arrival to the UK and I have a feeling they were saying 48 hours somewhere in writing.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#16 Post by JSC »

Yes and no. Under the Gun Barrel Proof Act 1978 it is:

"an offence to import into the United Kingdom small arms, the barrels of which are not duly proved and marked as proved, without giving notice in writing within seven days to either
the London or Birmingham Proof House or to send such imported arms, within twenty eight days of their arrival in the United Kingdom, to be proved at either the London or Birmingham Proof House (Section 122 of the 1868 Act).

This does not apply to any small arm imported by any person for their own personal use whilst it is in their possession. In such a case, the proof is the responsibility of the possessor."

My understanding of this is that if you get an RFD to import it on your behalf, they would have to get it proofed, but if you bring it in yourself as a personal import you would not, as long as it is only going to be used by you.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#17 Post by Ovenpaa »

Yes, that does sound more like it :)

I must admit we only import as an RFD so I must have been mistaken.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
RDC

#18 Post by RDC »

Is this the much talked about glock lbp?
Gh0st

#19 Post by Gh0st »

JSC wrote:Yes and no. Under the Gun Barrel Proof Act 1978 it is:

"an offence to import into the United Kingdom small arms, the barrels of which are not duly proved and marked as proved, without giving notice in writing within seven days to either
the London or Birmingham Proof House or to send such imported arms, within twenty eight days of their arrival in the United Kingdom, to be proved at either the London or Birmingham Proof House (Section 122 of the 1868 Act).

This does not apply to any small arm imported by any person for their own personal use whilst it is in their possession. In such a case, the proof is the responsibility of the possessor."

My understanding of this is that if you get an RFD to import it on your behalf, they would have to get it proofed, but if you bring it in yourself as a personal import you would not, as long as it is only going to be used by you.

Ok that makes sense.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

Gh0st

#20 Post by Gh0st »

RDC wrote:Is this the much talked about glock lbp?

Nope.