Mildly scope with 12 points.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Mildly scope with 12 points.

#11 Post by 1066 »

ruger_steve wrote:
breacher wrote:
ruger_steve wrote:Hi, new to all this rifle business. I have just bought a rifle with a Bushnell Elite 6500 which I believe is mildot. But both elevation and windage turrets have 12 points (0-11) on them. Why is this? Shouldn’t there be 10?

Sent from my boing using "An application"
Why should there be 10 ?

Because 10 per full rotation is easier to count per full rotation for mil. However having 12 for MOA makes more sense because of the math. If each click is 1/4 then a full rotation is 3 MOA.

I think you're on the wrong track there Steve. If we assume that your scope is MOA and you have 1/4" clicks (Not all scopes are) then one full rotation of the turret is 12 minutes or 48 clicks.
One full turn will change you impact point by 12" (12.56") at 100 yards.

A minute of angle is 1.047" at 100 yards, usually rounded to be 1". A single click will change the impact point 1/4" at one hundred yards but 2" at 800 yards.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
ruger_steve
Home club or Range: Bisley

#12 Post by ruger_steve »

You’re right I must be on the wrong track. I have only been shooting with the new rifle once and that was only for an hour so not used to it at all nor had a proper play with it.

I saw 12 numbers on it but that don’t mean there is only 12 clicks does it.

ruger_steve
Home club or Range: Bisley

#13 Post by ruger_steve »

I have fired rifles before but all have been mils so will have to do some converting.

Site Supporter Since 2015

#14 Post by 1066 »

ruger_steve wrote:You’re right I must be on the wrong track. I have only been shooting with the new rifle once and that was only for an hour so not used to it at all nor had a proper play with it.

I saw 12 numbers on it but that don’t mean there is only 12 clicks does it.

Each number is one minute (4 clicks). - Say you were shooting at 100 yards and your group was forming 2.5" high. You would need to come down 2 1/2 minutes (10 clicks) so - if your elevation turret was reading exactly 8, you would need to adjust it down so it was reading 5 1/2'
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Sim G
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Sim G »

12 minutes per revolution makes perfect sense. Easily divisible of a degree. 60 seconds in a minute, sixty minutes in a degree.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!