I don't like petitons BUT.....

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Pinguino
Home club or Range: Bisley

I don't like petitons BUT.....

#1 Post by Pinguino »

I'm not posting this to start another bitch talk about what we can and can't to for our sport and which NGA is worth tuppence or not.

There is currently a petition

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/223361

to Remove articles 28-35 of the offensive weopns bill currently going through parliament (of which we are all very aware of).

I'm not a fan of petitons, BUT if we can't even be bothered to sign a petition, which takes all of 1 minute of our vauable time, then we really are a disunited and pitiful group of shooters. It ONLY has 1644 signatures - this will surely embolden the government to think that, we, the shooting community don't really have any cohesion and backbone for a fight to keep our rights!

As an aside, there is also currently a petiton to Abolish all subsidies for shotgun and firearms licences which has 3,191 signatures against it!

The anti-gunners are after our guns and won't let up unless we can show we are not going to lie down at take another one up the a**e as we have done in the past.

PLEASE sign this petition, PLEASE pass it on to all your contacts. If you want to comment please do so, AFTER you have signed the petiton. Don't tell me it's not worth your time. It's taken you longer to read thsi post!!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: I don't like petitons BUT.....

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

I'm pretty sure there's already been a post on this. I'e sign this one and the knife one already
DVC
Pinguino
Home club or Range: Bisley

#3 Post by Pinguino »

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/223361

So the petiton count to remove section 28-35 of Offensive Weapons Bill has risen from 1,644 to 3,573 in around 2 weeks :-(

Meanwhile the petiton to remove section 15 of the Offensive Weapons Bill (knife delivery to home) has gathered 20,894 signatures...!

I can't stress this enough - sign this and get your shooting friends to sign it.

If you've alrady signed it, thank you. Perhaps you can make it an objective to get it signed by one 'non-shooting' friend who appreciates that you enjoy your hobby and is not worried that you, or people like you,own firearms!
ultonia

#4 Post by ultonia »

So far only 3,679 signatures on this petition. Looks like we are proving to the government what a pushover the shooting community is. Expect more restrictions on our sport soon.

Sent from my iPad using "An application"
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#5 Post by JSC »

ultonia wrote:So far only 3,679 signatures on this petition. Looks like we are proving to the government what a pushover the shooting community is. Expect more restrictions on our sport soon.

How many letters have you written to your MP about the Bill and what responses have you got so far?
ultonia

#6 Post by ultonia »

JSC wrote:
ultonia wrote:So far only 3,679 signatures on this petition. Looks like we are proving to the government what a pushover the shooting community is. Expect more restrictions on our sport soon.

How many letters have you written to your MP about the Bill and what responses have you got so far?
1 and 0

I better write again.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

I'm on 3 and 0, and one of them was a hardcopy/letter which i'd been lead to believe they HAVE to respond to??
DVC
artiglio

#8 Post by artiglio »

More a parliamentary convention than obligation in respect of replying to written enquiries, but certainly would be seen as a failure to carry out their work as an mp, best to call the mp's office and chase it up or write again. Mine is very adept at avoiding answering direct questions in writing, preferring to express his opinions face to face at his constituency surgery.
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#9 Post by JSC »

Writing a letter, whether it's by email or hand is still better than responding to e-petitions, which are completely ignored by everyone unless they get enough backing to attract press coverage or reach the magic number to be discussed in Parliament.

Every reply I've had so far from my MP and Nick Hurd has been a cut and paste job but it's not going to stop me writing more. Face to face is the best way to get your point across but so far my MP has avoided that.
ultonia

#10 Post by ultonia »

Blackstuff wrote:I'm on 3 and 0, and one of them was a hardcopy/letter which i'd been lead to believe they HAVE to respond to??
Got a response from my MP Phillip Hammond today. Boilerplate stuff. Mentioned the startling fact that some .50cal rounds can pierce body armour at long range.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

They are also scared that a shot from a .50 cal rifles could disable a car at long range. If a criminal wanted to destroy a car, I doubt .50cal would be first choice of method