Shooting choices if you live in central London

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
turnaround

Shooting choices if you live in central London

#1 Post by turnaround »

As of this weekend, I'm moving from the west of London in to the very centre to allow easy access to work - cutting my commute from circa 75 minutes comprising a bus, a train, and one to two tube rides to a 20 minute walk.

Obviously, most clubs shoot some way out of London, so I'll need to consider in which direction I'll travel.

With no local connections in the shooting sports, I'd welcome any suggestions from members as to where best to go for a casual shoot of smallbore or shotgun. As it is, until I manage to get a couple of years' residency on the board (and thus have referees who've known me sufficiently long enough to endorse an application), I'm unable to apply for either an SGC or FAC, but I'd prefer not to have to pop over to the continent just to shoot or meet members of the various clubs.

I qualified on pistol in a work related role in my youth, shot smallbore rifle in the Antipodes, and was again back in pistol shooting in the several years spent on the continent. I'm well aware of the legislative prohibitions on pistol shooting here, so I'm interested in getting exposure to different disciplines ahead of committing when I'm able to obtain the SGC or FAC.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Best,

TA
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Shooting choices if you live in central London

#2 Post by Sim G »

Marylebone Pistol and rifle club.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#3 Post by daman »

Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

The freestyle handgun scene is booming in London as of late, just don't forget to buy your Kevlar vest too! :run:
DVC
TJC
Home club or Range: Bisley

#6 Post by TJC »

Hunter87

#7 Post by Hunter87 »

As has been suggested marlybone pistol and rifle club is based right underneath London Bridge It’s very discreet and I’m sure not many people even know it’s there. I was a member for a while but it wasn’t for me so I left. Although it’s a good location with great facilities the other older members are dicks to new members and will treat you as a noob even if you’re an experienced shooter.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#8 Post by froggy »

Salut Turnaround,
West London Ham & Petersham Rifle & Pistol Club (close to Richmond) would have been convenient option for you. I also live in Central London and dont find it too bad (45mns from Elephant & Castle) . We do have open days on the 1st sunday of the Month where you can come and see for yourself the various disciplines we shoot and test the journey ?

https://www.hprpc.co.uk/

PS - We are a very friendly bunch , and the club is big enuf to ignore the occasional rare "tricky" charracters ;)
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
turnaround

#9 Post by turnaround »

Many thanks for the replies!
Hunter87 wrote:As has been suggested marlybone pistol and rifle club is based right underneath London Bridge It’s very discreet and I’m sure not many people even know it’s there. I was a member for a while but it wasn’t for me so I left. Although it’s a good location with great facilities the other older members are dicks to new members and will treat you as a noob even if you’re an experienced shooter.
I was stunned to see that this place existed (and quite keen to head there) until reading this. I'm trying to get the better half further into the sport than we got on the continent, that doesn't sound like a conducive environment for the sake of the convenience.
froggy wrote:Salut Turnaround,
West London Ham & Petersham Rifle & Pistol Club (close to Richmond) would have been convenient option for you. I also live in Central London and dont find it too bad (45mns from Elephant & Castle) . We do have open days on the 1st sunday of the Month where you can come and see for yourself the various disciplines we shoot and test the journey ?

https://www.hprpc.co.uk/

PS - We are a very friendly bunch , and the club is big enuf to ignore the occasional rare "tricky" charracters ;)
Just looked at the website - sold. I dare say you'll see both myself and the better half (I see you're familiar with CR, she and I met in Prague - we did a fair bit of shooting at AVIM as it was around the corner from my office) come August's open day.
Chapuis

#10 Post by Chapuis »

Hunter87 wrote:As has been suggested marlybone pistol and rifle club is based right underneath London Bridge It’s very discreet and I’m sure not many people even know it’s there. I was a member for a while but it wasn’t for me so I left. Although it’s a good location with great facilities the other older members are dicks to new members and will treat you as a noob even if you’re an experienced shooter.

I was shocked to read this. It's been a good many years since I shot with guys from Marlybone pistol club at events that they organised or at pistol meetings they also attended. They weren't a bad bunch at all. I find it hard to believe that the make up of the club could have changed so much.

Perhaps they were just being cautious? I've seen so called experienced shooters turn up to join a club who were soon exposed as being unsafe, and any experience that they supposedly had obviously been the wrong type of experience. That is why many clubs insist on all shooters regardless of holding a FAC serve the full probation period.