Old antique barrel repair / reline

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

Old antique barrel repair / reline

#1 Post by dirtbag »

Hi, I have an old French .72 caliber Tabatiere 1822 with bronze receiver.
It is currently on ticket and I do shoot it occasionally.
The barrel has a lot of pitting inside (Cats tongue esq') and deep in areas , remarkably the gun shoots really well at 100 yards.
I keep the loads well lower than the original cartridge.

I was wondering if there was anything I could do (apart from cleaning and oiling to stop spread) to sort out the pitting.

I have seen companies offering relining services etc, and was wondering if anyone else has been in the same boat, and what they did ?

Thanks in advance
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Old antique barrel repair / reline

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Yes it can be done however the barrel of the Tabatiere is quite a length and something to consider before you even start machining a liner (Non standard) to suit. I am inclined to say just shoot it and enjoy it as long as it is safe.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#3 Post by dirtbag »

Thanks D, ill most likely take your advice.

I've been shooting it occasionally for over a year using light loads (and they are going to stay light), no issues.

I won it from Holts, and I knew that the bronze receiver (church bells) with the forward lock was highly desirable, as these ones were originally flintlocks, so had some conversions in its life. The pitting looks worse than it is at first glance, but after cleaning and taking out it out of the wood and being able to look cleary through the bore the pitting is more long than deep.

Ill get some snaps of it soon for those that are interested
Musclebob

#4 Post by Musclebob »

The only guys I know of who do this are in the States. Robert Hoyt comes in highly recommended. Track of the Wolf also supplies barrel liners, but I believe they have stopped exporting them, you may be able to pick one of their liners up if you are visiting the US.
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#5 Post by dirtbag »

Musclebob wrote:The only guys I know of who do this are in the States. Robert Hoyt comes in highly recommended. Track of the Wolf also supplies barrel liners, but I believe they have stopped exporting them, you may be able to pick one of their liners up if you are visiting the US.
Thanks very much - picking one up may be an option as I go over there occasionally