Stolen 50 cal.......

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Stolen 50 cal.......

#11 Post by Christel »

1066, thank you for posting.

The majority of that reply should not be mentioned in the same sentence as the shooting community.
We have absolutely nothing to do with the criminal activities mentioned. As mentioned elsewhere the ban is a done deal.
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#12 Post by Lever357 »

I had heard a car was stolen with a .50 cal inside and when the owner was asked to describe the weapon, the police were taken aback by the capabilities of the rifle!

I have also heard from someone in the police that when they do a sweep of an area prior to a visit by an important person, they check within a 600 yard radius of where said person will be. They have recently realised a .50 cal can shoot for two miles and there is no way they could secure an area of that magnatude.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#13 Post by breacher »

Lever357 wrote:I had heard a car was stolen with a .50 cal inside and when the owner was asked to describe the weapon, the police were taken aback by the capabilities of the rifle!

I have also heard from someone in the police that when they do a sweep of an area prior to a visit by an important person, they check within a 600 yard radius of where said person will be. They have recently realised a .50 cal can shoot for two miles and there is no way they could secure an area of that magnatude.
My knowledge is out of date but it used to be 300 yards !

Besides - in UK cities its rare to get a clear line of sight at a range where a .50 would be needed. In open grid pattern modern cities you might but not in our cities with their small twisted streets.

Add to that they simply dont have the resources. Every 100 yards added to the sterile radius means hundreds of possible threats and thousands of police hours required to deal with clearing them.

I reckon a quality drone with a hand grenade or even an IED attached would be a more credible threat than a guy with a .50 unless they have thousands of rounds in training etc
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#14 Post by JSC »

But they told us a .50 would be able to shoot Lord Nelson from London Bridge! Are they trying to mislead us?
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#15 Post by Lancs Lad »

christel wrote:No drive, if you ask me it is a done deal.
I fear that your statement is most probably likely to be correct for both the MARS / Lever release and the .50 cals. This despite the compelling case put forward by the FCSA and their supporters.

LL
Christel
Site Admin

#16 Post by Christel »

Lancs Lad wrote:
christel wrote:No drive, if you ask me it is a done deal.
I fear that your statement is most probably likely to be correct for both the MARS / Lever release and the .50 cals. This despite the compelling case put forward by the FCSA and their supporters.

LL
I could be wrong, so could the officials who told Ovenpaa.
Nothing is a "done deal" until the last option has been explored however to me it looks like the whole case is just going through the motions now according to the law.
falco67
Site Supporter Since 2015

#17 Post by falco67 »

From a very recent experience .577 muzzle loading rifles are now being referred to as "50 cal" by firearms officers...
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#18 Post by Mattnall »

Lever357 wrote:I had heard a car was stolen with a .50 cal inside and when the owner was asked to describe the weapon, the police were taken aback by the capabilities of the rifle!
What? Maker, serial number, colour really scared them?
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#19 Post by HH1 »

The HME 50 cal in question was recovered by Merseyside Police. The barrel had been cut down. The Police speculate that whoever stole the rifle didn't actually know what they had taken.
Chuck

#20 Post by Chuck »

I can see that you have highlighted key areas of concern that the shooting community have and that one of them references ‘ No legally owned rifle of the types to be prohibited has ever been used in criminal activity’ however I understand from colleagues that on occasion these weapons have fallen into the wrong hands and that a .50 calibre rifle was stolen from the home of a licensed holder of firearms last year and in another case, a licensed owner of weapons including a .50 calibre rifle was involved in the firearms and ammunition supply chain of an organised crime gang in the West Midlands. As I previously mentioned, I do believe that the vast majority of firearms owners are responsible owners, but it is the case that the Government has a duty to safeguard the public and to take the steps that they feel are necessary in order to do this lol lol .
So by his loopy mentality we should confiscate cars from people who never ever were drunk drivers or put peoples kids into care because someone else abused their own kids kukkuk kukkuk kukkuk . If they must make excuses then at least they should be plausible...a ban is a ban by any other name...nowt to do with "public safety"!
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!