BASC Rifle club range day

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

BASC Rifle club range day

#1 Post by Plumose »

Hi All,
I am booked on the 7th of August BASC Bisley range day, and having never shot anywhere accept my club (small bore and indoor pistol calibre only) I wondered if anyone had been on one and could let me know what to expect.

I should be getting my SSC as part of the day.

Apart from guns, ammo, hearing protection, and eye protection what else should I take?

Is anyone else going?

https://basc.org.uk/basc-south-east/tar ... -stalking/

Also I will be picking up my first full bore rifle on Saturday and this will be my first chance to use it, any suggestions on that side?

Thanks,
Barnaby
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

Re: BASC Rifle club range day

#2 Post by daman »

Bring a packed lunch - unless BASC are laying on a barbecue. Range will be closed 1230 to 1330.

Also, if it's the first time out with the rifle, you'll need to zero it before you'll be able to shoot the running deer. Let the RO know you need to zero as soon as you arrive. There is a large cross you can bore sight on (don't shoot at it though!) and when you're ready you should be able to fine tune the zero on the static targets.

The BSRC facilities are great - if you have a .22lr bring it along to shoot the running boar too.

Enjoy the day

-daman
Plumose
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Plumose »

Hi,
Thanks for the info.
I have a 10/22 that I will be taking along.
They have arranged that we can eat at Artist's Rifle Club, so I am going to take advantage of that.
Chapuis

#4 Post by Chapuis »

I can guarantee that you will have a most enjoyable day. The BSRC is an excellent facility that I have shot on many times including with BASC. The club members who run the range on these range days couldn't be pleasanter or more helpful and this goes an awful long way as far as I am concerned.

One thing to remember though is that the running boar can only be shot with non expanding .22lr ammunition so make sure you have the right type of ammo with you. This is because expanding ammo damages the target screens requiring that they are replaced more frequently, hence the club has set a rule non-expanding only on the .22 boar range.
Plumose
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Plumose »

Thanks for that, picked up a few hundred rounds of CCI standard recently for just that reason, in fact going to get that is what has ended up with me buying the new to me full bore rifle I am picking up on Saturday as they had it in the shop.
Bolte
Home club or Range: NRA

#6 Post by Bolte »

Plumrose....
If you live in the general direction of Deddington, please bear in mind the traffic. M3, M25, M40, M4, A329, A404.
I now find a pub and go and have a meal for a few hours to let the traffic die down. The road from Bisley village to join the M3 is a stinker and can easily take you 30-40 mins just to reach the M3. If I do leave at peak times, I will head back to Pirbright and then join at Frimley or go across to Chobham, Chertsey direction.
Slightly off topic but you will thank me.
Plumose
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Plumose »

Thanks, I will start looking at routes. I am hoping as it is the school holidays it will be lighter than otherwise.
I am happy to leave home nice and early, as if I was heading to work.
Fortunately I am east Oxford so miss some of the worse traffic at this end.
Chapuis

#8 Post by Chapuis »

Past experience is that the day ends before peak rush hour with most shooters wandering off sometime around three thirty ish.