Well worth a read - Offensive Weapons bill Committee Stage

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
nickb834
Home club or Range: Wakefield R&PC, Warwickshire Armourers R&PC

Well worth a read - Offensive Weapons bill Committee Stage

#1 Post by nickb834 »

This is the minutes from committee stage where Ministers MP's Police are discussing the proposed ban on MARS and HME firearms (they mention 50, 14.5 and 20mm) of 13600J energy......

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/pbc/2017 ... rism#g31.6
shotgun sam

Re: Well worth a read - Offensive Weapons bill Committee Sta

#2 Post by shotgun sam »

Thanks for bringing that to our attention it is quite interesting.

Sam
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
nickb834

#3 Post by nickb834 »

There's a decent enough line of questioning about why ban these rifles if they've never been used in crime, one of the MP's queries the effect on disabled shooters of banning MARS.

Plods argument boils down to (for the energy limit argument):
  • Too much energy at too greater distance
    Allows yon criminals and terrorists to engage and destroy vehicles at distance
    And that this is possible with simple 50BMG FMJ Ball ammunition as opposed to AP
So they want to ban them before they get into the hands of....

Plod does fess up to that no legally held 50 cal has been used in crime
But then trots out the 80's terrorist angle in NI.
nickb834

#4 Post by nickb834 »

Argument against MARS is that too higher rate of fire, it's working against / around the S1 ban and so forth.

There's a lot of discussion about antique firearms etc, the don't like being able to possess shotgun cartridges without a ticket, but the committee understands that the controls on ammunition make it much harder to assemble ammunition for an obsolete calibre.

Upshot - I'm just giving a precis on what's been discussed.

My take personally, the 50 cals will survive, they won't adjust the security arrangements, but it's not looking good for MARS longer term. In the short term I think they'll survive in one form or another as it's too hard to define in law exactly what a MARS or lever release is - and the engineer will always find a way.

An MP did actually suggest by trying to tighten it up too much they'll leave loop holes - if only they'd followed it through with a - so lets open it back up again (Sec 5 semi autos back to S1) - sigh........ if only.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#5 Post by snayperskaya »

I don't think enough was said to explain just how hard it is to get components for the majority of obsolete calibres, such as cases, especially in any sort of quantity and quality......or am I wrong?.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
nickb834

#6 Post by nickb834 »

no not enough was said on the topic - but, I'd argue it's not that hard - a lot of parent cases and a lot can be converted to use for something else - a la 20G brass to .577/450
Brian838
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Offa's Dyke.

#7 Post by Brian838 »

nickb834 wrote:Argument against MARS is that too higher rate of fire, it's working against / around the S1 ban and so forth.

There's a lot of discussion about antique firearms etc, the don't like being able to possess shotgun cartridges without a ticket, but the committee understands that the controls on ammunition make it much harder to assemble ammunition for an obsolete calibre.

Upshot - I'm just giving a precis on what's been discussed.

My take personally, the 50 cals will survive, they won't adjust the security arrangements, but it's not looking good for MARS longer term. In the short term I think they'll survive in one form or another as it's too hard to define in law exactly what a MARS or lever release is - and the engineer will always find a way.

An MP did actually suggest by trying to tighten it up too much they'll leave loop holes - if only they'd followed it through with a - so lets open it back up again (Sec 5 semi autos back to S1) - sigh........ if only.

Would be nice if they would grant grandfather rights on mars/lever release rather than an outright ban.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#8 Post by HALODIN »

It's a shame no-one mentioned how unusable a cut-down .50 cal rifle would be without a crown and without a long barrel to stabilise the round. A cut-down .50 cal rifle is no more lethal than a .308 and the recoil and noise would be horrendous. It would only be used once in anger!
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#9 Post by bradaz11 »

Brian838 wrote: Would be nice if they would grant grandfather rights on mars/lever release rather than an outright ban.
not all shooters share that view. I would rather have something I could sell if I wanted to
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
artiglio

#10 Post by artiglio »

bradaz11 wrote:
Brian838 wrote: Would be nice if they would grant grandfather rights on mars/lever release rather than an outright ban.
not all shooters share that view. I would rather have something I could sell if I wanted to
But, would it not be reasonable to offer owners either compensation or grandfather rights as a one time choice?