Culham Rifle Range - Oxfordshire

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
69chris
Home club or Range: severnside

Re: Culham Rifle Range - Oxfordshire

#11 Post by 69chris »

also, didnt realise Ottmoor was still used as a range, i thought it had been given back to nature and turned into a reserve of some sort,
was last there in about 1987/88, a spotty teenager with L1A1 and GPMG and free ammo ............... those were the days :D
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#12 Post by Racalman »

69chris wrote:also, didnt realise Ottmoor was still used as a range, i thought it had been given back to nature and turned into a reserve of some sort,
was last there in about 1987/88, a spotty teenager with L1A1 and GPMG and free ammo ............... those were the days :D
I shot there regularly with one of my clubs until a couple of years ago. We only stopped because it was a bit out of the way for some of our members.

There was an embargo on civilian clubs a few years ago due to complaints from the incoming nimbys in the nearby village but the NRA helped to sort that out.

It's a great little range with mantlet ETR and a friendly father and son range warden team.
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#13 Post by Plumose »

What is a mantlet ETR , being relatively new to shooting neither weird I means anything to me?
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
Christel
Site Admin

#14 Post by Christel »

Mantlet...the bank in front of the targets, it is there to protect the people in the butts who raise the frames (targets)

If you visualise a range...

Shooters at one end, mantlet and then the butts with the targets and then the back stop.

Electronic target range.
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#15 Post by Plumose »

Thanks
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
Sim G
Past Supporter

#16 Post by Sim G »

Several years ago we were trying to find suitable land to locate the club to and build a range in needs be. A couple of the guys, using google earth, discovered half a dozen decent sized, dis-used ranges in Kent and Sussex. Research conducted, letters sent and even visits made, no one would give us any consideration at all to recommissioning.

As our club has its roots in the Territorial Army and the Home Guard quipped, “Come the next war in Europe, you can bet that they’ll give us a range....”
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Bolte
Home club or Range: NRA

#17 Post by Bolte »

Listed on their website but I am not a member so you would have to contact them.

https://www.owrpc.co.uk/
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#18 Post by GeeRam »

If you drive past Osterley Park in West London, you can still see in the parkland from the road, one of the old range butts walls still standing from when Osterley House was the location of the first LDV/HG training base.
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#19 Post by Racalman »

Plumose wrote:What is a mantlet ETR , being relatively new to shooting neither weird I means anything to me?
Traditional ETRs (e.g. Ash and Longmoor) have the targets set in coffins down the range, typically Fig 12 at 100 yards and Fig 11 at 200 and 300 yards. These can be set to fall when hit or hold up but either way the scores are registered on the console. In this setup targets can be engaged at different distances from the same firing point.

Otmoor is a converted gallery range where the targets are set behind the mantlet so the distance is fixed.
Sparks stu
Home club or Range: / Bicester rifle and pistol club / bisley

#20 Post by Sparks stu »

I think a .22 prone only club called rbl Abingdon rifle club shoot on this range in the summer months