Culham Rifle Range - Oxfordshire

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
alexham

Re: Culham Rifle Range - Oxfordshire

#21 Post by alexham »

Culham range is not derelict, but in regular use by Harwell TSC of which I am a member. The range used to be on long term lease to Royal British Legion, but I understand that they no longer have an active smallbore prone club, which is a shame. Any range may appear derelict when there is no one shooting on it and this one is no different. Not sure how long we will be allowed to use it, because the land is a part of a house building programme.

Alex
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: Culham Rifle Range - Oxfordshire

#22 Post by Daryll »

sclg wrote:
Daryll wrote:The old RAF Upwood base is near my house, and whenever I'm walking the dog on part of the old peri-track, (now considered to be a public footpath), I can see the sand backstop of the old barrack range...
Our range is an old airfield barracks range. 25yds of course - 100 would be nice ;)
Luckily, still no housing and a very supportive landowner.
Our Club (Isle Target Sports Club) is on the old barrack range of what was RAF Mepal. We've managed to get a 2 lane, 50 yd range pointing at the original backstop as well as 8 lanes at 25 yds.
The range has been closed for the last month or so while we had builders in renovating the 80+ year old brickwork.

We did get planning permisssion for a 100 yd range on another area of the range complex, but the council put some very strict conditions on the planning permission so we may not even follow through with it.. :(

Daryll.