Culham Rifle Range - Oxfordshire

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Culham Rifle Range - Oxfordshire

#1 Post by Dark Skies »

I was completely unaware that there was a rifle range in Culham until I chanced upon it whilst reading about abandoned Royal Observer Corps underground bunkers from the cold war era. The range is near both a WWII pill box and one of these civil defence bunkers.
It's about 100 yards long from info gathered on the net.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/showmap.php? ... SU51159488

My guess is it's a relic from WWII as this area was steeped in military bases / depots and aerodromes.

Does anybody know if it is still in use - perhaps by a local club?
It'd be awesome to have a decent length range in the area.
Aerial pictures show it's in the middle of a wooded area which in turn is surrounded by farmland and so well away from the public. At least for the moment. Culham is due to suffer the very unpopular destruction of its surrounding countryside under the guise of the BS 'affordable housing' project that much of Oxfordshire is enduring at the moment.
Attachments
range butts.jpg
range warning.jpg
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Dark Skies

Re: Culham Rifle Range - Oxfordshire

#2 Post by Dark Skies »

More info ...
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4521710
(Picture taken by Steven Daniels)
Bolte

#3 Post by Bolte »

Looks derelict to me but isn't there a range at Otmoor (not too far away) or is that redundant now?
JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

#4 Post by JS569 »

The land is dotted with these old ranges, there's one on the moor near us. I know the gamekeepers so might ask if I can use it for zeroing as it's got a brilliant back stop and is out of the way!
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#5 Post by Daryll »

The old RAF Upwood base is near my house, and whenever I'm walking the dog on part of the old peri-track, (now considered to be a public footpath), I can see the sand backstop of the old barrack range...

I've often thought it would be great to get that up and working again, however, since the base closed numerous housing developments have sprung up around it, so no chance of getting permission to make loud bangs there...

Shame, it would be good to have a FB range almost on my doorstep..
Dark Skies

#6 Post by Dark Skies »

Bolte wrote:Looks derelict to me but isn't there a range at Otmoor (not too far away) or is that redundant now?
Otmoor is still a functional range but civilian use seems to be very patchy due to availability. I've shot there once or twice with ORA.
sclg
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: Pipers Shooting Club

#7 Post by sclg »

Daryll wrote:The old RAF Upwood base is near my house, and whenever I'm walking the dog on part of the old peri-track, (now considered to be a public footpath), I can see the sand backstop of the old barrack range...
Our range is an old airfield barracks range. 25yds of course - 100 would be nice ;)
Luckily, still no housing and a very supportive landowner.
69chris
Home club or Range: severnside

#8 Post by 69chris »

iv been up there many times, as a kid growing up in Abingdon places like that were like a magnet lol !!

apparently the local home guard units did their weapons training there (might be local myth ?) but im pretty sure its still used by a club, it was very well maintained and certainly not abandoned last time i was up that way walking the dog :good:
Dark Skies

#9 Post by Dark Skies »

69chris wrote:iv been up there many times, as a kid growing up in Abingdon places like that were like a magnet lol !!

apparently the local home guard units did their weapons training there (might be local myth ?) but im pretty sure its still used by a club, it was very well maintained and certainly not abandoned last time i was up that way walking the dog :good:
Any idea what club uses it? I'd be up for joining.
69chris
Home club or Range: severnside

#10 Post by 69chris »

iirc it (was ??) Wantage target shooting club but honestly cant remember for sure :oops:

its not really in the middle of nowhere either, a thames walk footpath runs literally alongside so in the summer theres boats/dog walkers/joggers etc by the millions passing close by

it does seem to be a well kept secret tho as not many know (or are interested ?) in it, the entrance has always been left 'un-kept'....to put off the curious i expect, but the range area which is out of sight of the footpath was tidy and recently mowed last time i was over there