Gun factory found in Sussex.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Gun factory found in Sussex.

#61 Post by 1066 »

More news on this case: Looking at the video it seems there's a bit of fine tuning necessary.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... years.html
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#62 Post by shugie »

1066 wrote:More news on this case: Looking at the video it seems there's a bit of fine tuning necessary.

More straight pull than semi-auto
Careful now/that sort of thing
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#63 Post by bradaz11 »

so 121 end caps and 2 guns, plus the actual 1922. what a haul.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Chapuis

#64 Post by Chapuis »

shugie wrote:
1066 wrote:More news on this case: Looking at the video it seems there's a bit of fine tuning necessary.

Yes and at £5,000 a throw reportedly. I don't know about the "criminal gangs" but I would be pretty hacked off if I paid £5,000 for a gun and it wouldn't shoot. Perhaps the crims can get their money back through the small claims court. 8-)
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#65 Post by JSC »

bradaz11 wrote:so 121 end caps and 2 guns, plus the actual 1922. what a haul.
They'll be 'semi-auto, military style end caps' though. More dangerous than normal end caps.
Dark Skies

#66 Post by Dark Skies »

Chapuis wrote:
shugie wrote:

Yes and at £5,000 a throw reportedly. I don't know about the "criminal gangs" but I would be pretty hacked off if I paid £5,000 for a gun and it wouldn't shoot. Perhaps the crims can get their money back through the small claims court. 8-)
As the Americans say "I know, right?"

£5K for a single shot pistol is crap.

Not being a criminal myself I don't know what access to decent quality firearms they have. But I'm guessing if hard drugs can be got into the country relatively reliably then guns ought to be just as easy.

If you have a budget of £5,000 surely it'd be more practical and economical to go to the States, buy a BP revolver, ship the frame packed in lead shot (to avoid X rays) to the UK, do the same with the barrel. Buy one of those conversion cylinders for turning BP revolvers into centre fire - send that packed in lead shot. Buy the non-FAC parts UK side. Assemble.
Then you'd have a pukka reliable revolver, plus a US holiday, and plenty of change out of your five grand.

Hmmm should I be concerned that my mind turned easily to this hypothetical challenge?

The hard bit is having a disposable delivery address just in case things go pear-shaped.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Musclebob

#67 Post by Musclebob »

At least they weren’t building these

http://thehomegunsmith.com/pdf/Stengunplans.pdf
Dark Skies

#68 Post by Dark Skies »

Musclebob wrote:At least they weren’t building these

http://thehomegunsmith.com/pdf/Stengunplans.pdf
For some reason the link doesn't open. I assume they are blueprints for a Sten gun. Those things weren't the most reliable when factory made, I've read, so a home build would probably be ... problematical.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#69 Post by Fedaykin »

Interesting, remember when this was first reported I speculated that if they were Semi-Auto pistols they would be based on something that they can get magazines for. After that I also speculated that a simple blow back Browning design like the TT-30 would make sense. I wasn't that far off, the Browning 1922 a blow back design is a variant of the FN Model 1910 that can trace its lineage back to the Browning 1903 which is what the TT-30 was derived from.

Browning 1922 magazines can be sourced both second hand and new fairly easily and the £5000 price is not that surprising, prices are high due to the risk for the manufacturer involved.

From a technical view the FN Model 1910/1922 is interesting as it has the operating spring is sleeved over the barrel a feature seen in the Walther PP Series and the Makarov.
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#70 Post by GeeRam »

Dark Skies wrote:I assume they are blueprints for a Sten gun. Those things weren't the most reliable when factory made, I've read, so a home build would probably be ... problematical.
Nothing wrong with the STEN.
Great bit of kit for peanuts cost. The only problems with it were not down to the gun but the mags, damaged lips would cause ammo to not feed, and people loosing the ends of their little fingers if they didn't hold it correctly when firing it.