FAC/ SG renewal

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: FAC/ SG renewal

#11 Post by Blackstuff »

As above. As long as you have made your application in 'good time' (which has been determined to be 8 weeks or more before the expiry date), you have an extra 8 weeks after the expiry date where your certificate is valid.

As a precaution though i would suggest either not transporting your guns after the expiry date (so you don't have to explain to any officer that stops you), or you become well versed in the relevant Act above so you can explain it clearly, but still expect the sort of response someone who has little idea about the legislation would give i.e. they'll want to take your guns off you if they can't get in touch with the FLD.
DVC
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#12 Post by Mattnall »

Furiouspilgrim wrote:
Mattnall wrote:
Furiouspilgrim wrote:They won’t issue a temporary cert. Your old cert is valid for 8 weeks after the expiry date as long as you sent it in for renewal on time.
As long as you have sent the renewal in, not the FAC. Don't send the FAC in, too late now if it has gone in. It's still valid but you'll have proof of the dates and firearm details if you kept it.
It states in the notes for form 201 not to send the cert in, just a signed and dated copy. You only send in a FAC for variation.
Exactly, but many still do and I have heard of at least one force ask for it on the letter they send for renewal notification.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#13 Post by Sim G »

Blackstuff wrote: As a precaution though i would suggest either not transporting your guns after the expiry date (so you don't have to explain to any officer that stops you), or you become well versed in the relevant Act above so you can explain it clearly, but still expect the sort of response someone who has little idea about the legislation would give i.e. they'll want to take your guns off you if they can't get in touch with the FLD.
One quick check over PR is all that’s required these days since the NFLMS is linked to PNC.

A simple piece of ID, such as your driving licence or old FAC and reference to the enactment above, then just carry on with your normal, lawful activity...

Despite what some people on forums or in the Daily Mail would have you think, the vast majority of coppers are actually very capable.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

#14 Post by JS569 »

Thanks for all the input chaps. I'll drop them a note again today. As you all say, I filled in my renewal well in advance and got the ball rolling. I even had a reminder letter about 6 weeks ago which is what prompted me to check they were on with it which as mentioned they said they were.

I've also just sold a rifle so I'll want a one for one on that slot. I'll mention that to them as there seems little point in sending in my FAC for the 3 months it took them to process that last time with the current one expiring in 3 weeks.

thanks again
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Blackstuff »

Sim G wrote:
Blackstuff wrote: As a precaution though i would suggest either not transporting your guns after the expiry date (so you don't have to explain to any officer that stops you), or you become well versed in the relevant Act above so you can explain it clearly, but still expect the sort of response someone who has little idea about the legislation would give i.e. they'll want to take your guns off you if they can't get in touch with the FLD.
One quick check over PR is all that’s required these days since the NFLMS is linked to PNC.

A simple piece of ID, such as your driving licence or old FAC and reference to the enactment above, then just carry on with your normal, lawful activity...

Despite what some people on forums or in the Daily Mail would have you think, the vast majority of coppers are actually very capable.
I only have one experience of my FAC being checked by the police 'on the street' and it was on a Sunday morning (FLD closed) and the PNC was 'down'. Had i not had my physical cert on me the officer told me he would've been taking my guns until i could produce it. I suspect he just wanted to have a play with them though as after a while talking he admitted being a former pistol shooter lol
DVC
Chapuis

#16 Post by Chapuis »

In a recent article in either Sporting Gun or Shooting Times the author suggested that you should seek a letter of confirmation that the certificate has been applied for in time from the firearms department if you are relying upon the automatic 8 week extension.

Rather than carry your FAC or SGC around with you, some police forces recommend that photographs of these certificates stored on your mobile phone can be useful in the unlikely event of you ever being stopped when out and about with firearms.
JS569

#17 Post by JS569 »

So contacted the police this morning and had this response back:

Your paperwork is still waiting to be processed, I cannot guarantee it will be done by the expiry date but there is still a couple of weeks yet.

You can do a variation at the renewal, when the enquiry officer contacts you just explain the situation and he can amend your form then.

If you contact us next week we will have a better idea if it will be done and if you will need to lodge your guns.

With the above in mind, I'm now quite concerned it won't be completed by the expiration date. Should I go back to them as some highlighted above and suggest they need to resolve this before I incur costs etc as I've done everything asked of me in a timely manner.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#18 Post by dromia »

JS569 wrote:

If you contact us next week we will have a better idea if it will be done and if you will need to lodge your guns.

With the above in mind, I'm now quite concerned it won't be completed by the expiration date. Should I go back to them as some highlighted above and suggest they need to resolve this before I incur costs etc as I've done everything asked of me in a timely manner.
Absolutely, you should not have to incur any costs because of their ineptitude.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
sclg
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: Pipers Shooting Club

#19 Post by sclg »

JS569 wrote:Your paperwork is still waiting to be processed, I cannot guarantee it will be done by the expiry date but there is still a couple of weeks yet.
You can do a variation at the renewal, when the enquiry officer contacts you just explain the situation and he can amend your form then.
Don't know if you are a member but I suspect the BASC legal department would love to see that....
S
JS569

#20 Post by JS569 »

Yes I am a BASC member, I'll give them a call.