Evilbay laser range finders, any good?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Gazza

Evilbay laser range finders, any good?

#1 Post by Gazza »

I'm thinking of buying one of these cheap sub 50 quid laser range finders.
Has anyone already bought one? any good?
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

Re: Evilbay laser range finders, any good?

#2 Post by safetyfirst »

I bought this.

6-1000M Hunting Rangefinder Speed Measure Range Finder Telescope 6X Magnification +/- 1M Accuracy Vibration For Hunting Racing Archery Bow https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B8J8Q59/ ... KBbZMAJV6Z

Seems to work perfectly on a clear day.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

As long as you don’t expect too much from it....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Gazza

#4 Post by Gazza »

I would want to expect at least 300 yds accuracy but a couple of the reviews say at max they are getting 145 yds which is poor to say the least.
The ones at 70 quid upwards seem the same (design wise) as the ones at 46 quid which come straight from China.
Oh decisions decisions :D
Sim G
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Sim G »

This is also an added issue when looking at “stuff”. Not everything that comes out of China is crap neither. The boing I’m typing this on did....

Personally, what do you want it for? Golf? No worries, use it as an aid to your own estimation. Range work? Then why? They will be known distances. Purely for a toy, get a cheap Chinese one and sling it in the cupboard after a couple of weeks.

But if you want one for field use, to kill live things, then it’s your duty to buy decent, serviceable kit that will, by design, cost several hundred quid...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#6 Post by safetyfirst »

That’s a fair appraisal, I use mine at places like Catton Park to range things and when setting up to zero for a plink.

Never for live quarry.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#7 Post by Dark Skies »

Seems like fifty quid down the drain to me. As Sim said - public / private ranges are a known quantity.
I doubt it'd be much good for golf - maybe on nice flat areas but anything with slopes is going to be wrong.
If it's for live game - like deer, foxes, rabbits and such you should do it right.
Another £215 would get you something like this. I've no call for it myself but it sounds like it'd make a decent fist of things.

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/produ ... ngefinder/
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."