Shooter Certification card

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sabertooth
Home club or Range: Donderbus RPC

Shooter Certification card

#1 Post by Sabertooth »

My club doesn't us MOD ranges anymore so am I correct in thinking that we don't need an SCC? It seems that if you need one you have to be a member of the BASC and go to Bisley once a year for a requal course.
Gun control is hitting the target.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Shooter Certification card

#2 Post by dromia »

If you don't shoot on MoD ranges then there is no requirement/need to have one.

You can still shoot on MoD ranges without one only you will need to be supervised one to one by a card holder.

Usually clubs with accredited competence courses can sign off card holder which are issued by the NRA. You don't need to be a BASC member. In fact if there is any way at all of not having to join either of these to crap organisations then do so. NRA membership is only of use if you want to shoot as an individual, rather than with a club, at Bisley. BASC I can see no reason to join unless any land or syndicate you shoot on requires BASC membership for the insurance. Both are failing legal gun owners big time and do not deserve support.

A search on here will give more information about these cards as it is regularly discussed and recently the NRA has been imposing further requirements on the issue of the cards.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
rox

#3 Post by rox »

Sabertooth wrote:My club doesn't us MOD ranges anymore so am I correct in thinking that we don't need an SCC?
Correct.
Sabertooth wrote:It seems that if you need one you have to be a member of the BASC
Incorrect.
Sabertooth wrote:and go to Bisley once a year for a requal course.
Incorrect.
Sabertooth

#4 Post by Sabertooth »

Thanks for the info.
Sabertooth

#5 Post by Sabertooth »

I don't know if this is an old document but this was the pdf file that came up when I did a search for the SCC, and this is where I got the info for my first post on this subject.

Version 2016
Shooter Certification Cards
Revised November 2015
Anyone shooting on MoD ranges (including Bisley ranges) is required to possess and produce, on
request, a certification card for the type of firearm they are using. This card is known as a ‘Shooter
Certification Card’.
Without a Safe Shooter Certification (SSC) card civilian target shooters are not authorised to shoot on
MoD land.
The range days held at Bisley (British Sporting Rifle Club complex) utilise MoD land and as such
attendees of BASC’s range days are required to possess an SSC card. Cards are non-transferable with
other clubs unless the club chairman (or designate) accepts a BASC issued card. BASC may (at our
discretion) accept cards obtained through your NRA affiliated rifle club or as a member of the NRA. If
you do not belong to either but are a member of BASC then we will issue you with a card when you
attend a BASC range day.
BASC reserves the right to revoke cards or reject cards issued by other organisations, where behaviour
during range hire or at BASC range days breaches regulations or falls short of expected standards.
Decisions to re-test shooters sit with each club chairman (or designate).
How to obtain your card.
If you require a card to utilise BASC range days or Bisley range booking system and are a member of
BASC with your own firearms certificate, you can sit an assessment to obtain a SCC at one of the BASC
range days. BASC range days are co-ordinated by the BASC South East centre. To download a booking
form and read further information, please visit http://basc.org.uk/basc-south-east/south-east-diary.
The assessment will entail a practical range assessment, during which you will also be asked questions
on range safety. If you pass the assessment you will be issued with a card that lasts for 12 months
according to the conditions below.
The cost for issuing a card is built into the BASC range day. Cards will be issued for one year.
Please note:
Cards are issued by BASC on the basis that the following conditions are met by the holder:
• You must be a BASC member.
• You must hold a valid firearm certificate.
• You must attend at least one BASC Bisley range day in each 12 month period from the date your
card was issued, to demonstrate that you remain competent.
Cards cease to be valid on the expiry date given on the card or if any one of the above criteria are not
met by the holder. We will confirm this in writing where relevant. After we have written to you; any
deliberate use of the card e.g. with other clubs, will be fraudulent and could result in a ban from MoD
land.
If you attend a range day within 12 months from the issue of your card and we are satisfied that your
skills remain current and safe, we will automatically renew your card for a further period of 12 months.
If you need any further information please contact BASC south east regional centre on 01306 631 378 or
email southeast@basc.org.uk
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

Only applies to BASC members wanting a card approved by them.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Sabertooth

#7 Post by Sabertooth »

Thanks I thought I might have read it incorrectly.
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#8 Post by Plumose »

Also BASC issued SSC don't cover all ranges that are available as they have a note on them that they are only for up to 200 yards.
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
toffe wrapper

#9 Post by toffe wrapper »

For those using MOD ranges & Bisley, the NRA is taking over issueing SCC's.
So when the cardbord one expires 31/12/18. They will be replaced by printed plastic ones with photo on.
the NRA already issues these cards to NRA members who get card from NRA.
Club Secretarys have received instructions on what needs sending to NRA for cards to be made.
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#10 Post by Triffid »

toffe wrapper wrote:For those using MOD ranges & Bisley, the NRA is taking over issueing SCC's.
So when the cardbord one expires 31/12/18. They will be replaced by printed plastic ones with photo on.
the NRA already issues these cards to NRA members who get card from NRA.
Club Secretarys have received instructions on what needs sending to NRA for cards to be made.
Here's the NRA instructions.
NRA SCC Process June 2018.pdf
(340.41 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
On the accompanying spreadsheet they've added an additional category 'Heritage Pistol'.

Triffid