Shooter Certification card

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Doz
Past Supporter

Re: Shooter Certification card

#21 Post by Doz »

I'm probably being thick here but could someone with a better understanding than I have please answer a question about this?

My primary club - who issued my current card - is no longer NRA affiliated so isn't able to issue a replacement. I joined the NRA as an individual member a while back in order to be able to use my rifles. How do I go about getting a new card - presumably from the NRA themselves? Will I have to do some manner of certification course, even though I have had a card since the scheme started? Obliged...
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#22 Post by IainWR »

Doz wrote:I'm probably being thick here but could someone with a better understanding than I have please answer a question about this?

My primary club - who issued my current card - is no longer NRA affiliated so isn't able to issue a replacement. I joined the NRA as an individual member a while back in order to be able to use my rifles. How do I go about getting a new card - presumably from the NRA themselves? Will I have to do some manner of certification course, even though I have had a card since the scheme started? Obliged...
From the depths of the NRA website: https://nra.org.uk/certification/#info-for-assessments

Criteria for certification of NRA members by the NRA
Members of the NRA will be able to apply for certification using the attached form (Annex D, Appendix 2).
The NRA will consider the following in determining whether or not to certify an individual:
1. The individual must be a Member of the National Rifle Association.
2. The individual must not have any outstanding safety offences recorded against them (any
individual suspended for a safety offence must be retrained before being deemed safe).
3. The individual will be deemed as safe and competent if they satisfy one or more of the following:
a. They are a current qualified NRA Range Conducting Officer in that type of firearm
b. They are a current club coach or club instructor (having successfully completed the
relevant NRA course)
c. They have successfully completed an NRA or CCRS (Council for Cadet Rifle Shooting)
appropriate assessed range course within the past year
d. They have shot and recorded a score in a competition run by the NRA / NSC at Bisley within
the past year
e. They have shot at least 3 times with the NRA Shooting Club within the past year
f. They are a shooter with the F-Class league
g. They successfully complete the NRA Range Safety Assessment and Competency Test (as
Appendix 1 to this annex)
Special requests, submitted in writing to the NRA, for any individual falling outside these criteria to be
certified may be granted in exceptional circumstances.
The application form for certification by the NRA is attached as Appendix 2 to this annex. This form will
be available for download from the NRA website; it will also be possible to apply for NRA certification online.
Doz
Past Supporter

#23 Post by Doz »

Many thanks Iain, I had seen that some time ago but have not been able to find it since and assumed it had changed along with the new card issuing system.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#24 Post by Dark Skies »

"e. They have shot at least 3 times with the NRA Shooting Club within the past year"

This is the easiest course of action. As an NRA member you're already a club member so get put on the email list. Every month or thereabouts you'll be notified of available lanes and ranges the club has booked. Pick a time that suits, phone up the club secretary on the number in the email, pay your (discounted) range time. Pop along on the day, sign in the book, shoot, repeat twice more and the card is yours.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#25 Post by dromia »

This only works if you are an NRA member and are within travel distance of Bisley.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#26 Post by Dark Skies »

dromia wrote:This only works if you are an NRA member and are within travel distance of Bisley.
Yes, I was replying to Doz - who is an NRA member and lives in Sussex.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#27 Post by dromia »

OK, clear now.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Doz
Past Supporter

#28 Post by Doz »

Dark Skies wrote:"e. They have shot at least 3 times with the NRA Shooting Club within the past year"

This is the easiest course of action. As an NRA member you're already a club member so get put on the email list. Every month or thereabouts you'll be notified of available lanes and ranges the club has booked. Pick a time that suits, phone up the club secretary on the number in the email, pay your (discounted) range time. Pop along on the day, sign in the book, shoot, repeat twice more and the card is yours.
Thanks Dark Skies, although in my case I should be able to use option D ("d. They have shot and recorded a score in a competition run by the NRA / NSC at Bisley within
the past year) having shot in the Historic Service Rifle comp earlier this year. Hopefully that'll be me sorted.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#29 Post by Mattnall »

christel wrote:
As far as I understand it the club that issues the card has to be NRA affiliated which my club isn't.
Do you shoot over MoD land then? Does the club have trouble getting the land license fron the MoD without the NRA affiliation?
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Christel
Site Admin

#30 Post by Christel »

Mattnall wrote:
christel wrote:
As far as I understand it the club that issues the card has to be NRA affiliated which my club isn't.
Do you shoot over MoD land then? Does the club have trouble getting the land license fron the MoD without the NRA affiliation?
Yes and I am not sure.

Thank you IainWR for the PM.

I am getting conflicting info re this and once I know what is what I will post again.