Which monitored alarm ?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

Which monitored alarm ?

#1 Post by breacher »

Just going through my application for RFD and I will need a monitored alarm.

Any of the companies better than the others ?

Any to avoid ?
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Which monitored alarm ?

#2 Post by Sim G »

Does the monitored alarm system have to be monitored by a company? Some excellent systems will alert you and whatever other phone number you program into it. Our system at the club will ring committee members one at a time until it’s answered. The police are happy with this and we hold a lot of Guns and ammo...

As an aside, back when I was policing on division, three false alarm call outs from a monitored company and we wouldn’t attend. Given the state of fire brigade policing now, and the back log of even immediate rated calls, who will thus company call if the police won’t or can’t attend? You.

Get some research done and submit a rationale for not having a company monitor. The money saved in the first year will allow a cracking system to be installed!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
breacher

#3 Post by breacher »

Sim G wrote:Does the monitored alarm system have to be monitored by a company? Some excellent systems will alert you and whatever other phone number you program into it. Our system at the club will ring committee members one at a time until it’s answered. The police are happy with this and we hold a lot of Guns and ammo...

As an aside, back when I was policing on division, three false alarm call outs from a monitored company and we wouldn’t attend. Given the state of fire brigade policing now, and the back log of even immediate rated calls, who will thus company call if the police won’t or can’t attend? You.

Get some research done and submit a rationale for not having a company monitor. The money saved in the first year will allow a cracking system to be installed!
Just had my interview and "monitored" was stated - with no preference on company etc - will e-mail to clarify.

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#4 Post by Gh0st »

breacher wrote:
Sim G wrote:Does the monitored alarm system have to be monitored by a company? Some excellent systems will alert you and whatever other phone number you program into it. Our system at the club will ring committee members one at a time until it’s answered. The police are happy with this and we hold a lot of Guns and ammo...

Just had my interview and "monitored" was stated - with no preference on company etc - will e-mail to clarify.
Most monitored alarms go through a call centre anyway to screen false alarms.

But 3 strikes would usually get taken off the immediate response. However they would have RFD on file so i am pretty sure you would get a priority response.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
Yogibear

#5 Post by Yogibear »

Definitely check whether a company has to monitor it. Some forces are happy for them to be monitored by yourself.

In these modern times there are many good alarms which can be monitored by telephone calls, text message, push notifications to apps etc. with intruder verification by audio or IP camera etc etc

If you need it monitored by a company, you will be paying good money to have it installed and then a monthly charge forever more. If you can DIY the install and monitor it yourself, then you are laughing.
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#6 Post by Racalman »

Yogibear wrote:If you can DIY the install and monitor it yourself, then you are laughing.
That's what I did (although I'm not an RFD). I added one of these to give the monitoring facility:

https://www.adventcontrols.co.uk/produc ... lar-alarms

If you do fit a system yourself, make sure the installation complies with BS EN 50131.
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#7 Post by dodgyrog »

I just had one put in before my RFD annual check.
A local (reputable) firm from Newcastle did it.
£700 including first year's monitoring fee and 6 month servicing
To be fair they used the exisistng sensors and wiring except for a pet friendle one in the kitchen and just put in their own box. They also fitted a GSM (I think that's the term) as well as the land line link.
Delighted with their work and attention to detail.
I had a couple of hiccups which were attended to immediately-
That's a bit of a guide for you to ponder on.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
25Pdr
Past Supporter

#8 Post by 25Pdr »

I got one like this...It phones up to three people....What more does one need?

https://www.alzproducts.co.uk/telephone ... autodialer
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

Go for whoever you feel comfortable with and remember you should need a minimum of a grade 3 system which should mean fully wired, different sensors and control box, fobs etc. However it is worth discussing it with your insurers to confirm. Beware the alarm company taking short cuts with offerings of hybrid and wireless systems. Oh and beware the local CPO as he may well suggest things that are unattainable.

Also, make sure your police force will issue an ERN which is GBP60.00 or you will never see a police response.

I much prefer Dualcom over Redcare for monitoring comms and make sure you pay for connectivity checks every 60 seconds as opposed to every 24 hours.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
breacher

#10 Post by breacher »

Ovenpaa wrote:Go for whoever you feel comfortable with and remember you should need a minimum of a grade 3 system which should mean fully wired, different sensors and control box, fobs etc. However it is worth discussing it with your insurers to confirm. Beware the alarm company taking short cuts with offerings of hybrid and wireless systems. Oh and beware the local CPO as he may well suggest things that are unattainable.

Also, make sure your police force will issue an ERN which is GBP60.00 or you will never see a police response.

I much prefer Dualcom over Redcare for monitoring comms and make sure you pay for connectivity checks every 60 seconds as opposed to every 24 hours.
goodjob

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire