police reply?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
pluginal
Home club or Range: North Coates butts

police reply?

#1 Post by pluginal »

After buying the Lantac rifle I sent off notification of the sale to Humberside Police by e-mail, do they notify you of receiving it and if so how long does it usually take?
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

Re: police reply?

#2 Post by ukrifleman »

I would suggest you attach a read receipt to your emails in future so that you are informed when they read the post.

On this occasion, just give them a call to set your mind at rest.

ukrifleman
@nd

#3 Post by @nd »

The Met send this automated reply:

Thank you for your email, this will receive the relevant attention required. If you are notifying us of an acquisition or disposal of weapon/s please accept this as an acknowledgement of receipt. If you require an application form or other related information please visit our website:-

I have never received anything els.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#4 Post by 20series »

You might not get a response, as long as you have sent the notification I wouldn't worry. Failing that, give them a bell direct.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
pluginal
Home club or Range: North Coates butts

#5 Post by pluginal »

Thanks guys. I will give them a call tomorrow just to put my mind at rest.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#6 Post by Dellboy »

I normally e mail them and also send a hard copy by recorded delivery and keep a copy of both .
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#7 Post by strangesam »

Avon and Somerset also send an automated reply.. However it has often taken 2-3 attempts to get this.

I too tend to send emails until I get an automated reply, and also send a recorded letter.

(When I purchased my first gun, I only sent the email as advised by the RFD, rang them up after 5 days because I was twitchy and they said they didn't have it, so no belt and braces.)..
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#8 Post by Andy632 »

I find that Police Scotland rarely reply; I don't worry about it; surely at least one of the two notifications (seller & buyer) will get through.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Pinguino
Home club or Range: Bisley

#9 Post by Pinguino »

Same in Beds, Herts and Cambs

Automated reply
Thank you for your email which will receive attention as appropriate during office hours.
If you are notifying us of the acquisition or disposal of a weapon please take this reply as confirmation it has been dealt with.
Please be aware that current turn round times for applications average 12 weeks. Please do not ring the office enquiring about progress as this slows our work down.
Current fees and answers to frequently asked questions can be found on our website at :-http://www.herts.police.uk/advice/firea ... nsing.aspx
All cheques should be made payable to ‘THE PCC FOR HERTFORDSHIRE’
Kind Regards,
Firearms Licensing
rox

#10 Post by rox »

ukrifleman wrote:I would suggest you attach a read receipt to your emails in future so that you are informed when they read the post.
That might have worked in the 90s, but pretty much any mail software since the mid noughties protects against tracking, spam and privacy violations by not honouring read receipt requests. It certainly can not be relied upon.