New from Notts Police..

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: New from Notts Police..

#21 Post by dromia »

The efficacy of this will be seen as to whether or not firearms certification departments cease there unilateral law making and continuing assault on legal gun owners.

Over the years we are told they are doing this, that and the next thing but the reality is firearms licensing departments continue to burden and harass legal gun owners with their unfounded bureaucracy.

I yet again hope that they will make a difference but their track record does not fill me with hope.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#22 Post by FredB »

Has anyone suggested to the authorities that FAC holders are suffering severe harrassment from the police and that this could lead to anxiety and depression?
Fred
Tacticool
Home club or Range: EMMR

#23 Post by Tacticool »

I think it got mentioned in another thread, but the issue is had by the general public and not the shooter. Therefore the general public should pay for it.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#24 Post by Maggot »

Its all about arse covering these days sadly. Its probably got something to do with someone getting their guns back then topping themselves or some other poor sod, or what is more likley, a new bod has taken over the department and does not want to see their golden ladder to retirement tarnished.

You see it all the time, new boss, does not ask how things are working and what could make things better, just goes for the high impact statement then leaves a mess for others to sort out.

I have no objection to my records being checked. I was nearly refused an FAC because I had "apparently" been treated for stress (it was not actually stress and stress was never mentioned, neither was I treated for it, I was just knakered and burned out, took a week off, modified my hours and sorted).

Unfortuneatly my employer was also my licensing authority so I suggested that if I was not fit to hold an FAC, then I was not fit to work....they gave me an FAC and we have got on happily ever since...funny that ;)

My GPs comment was "I am not going to state you are mentally fit to hold an FAC, because I am not qualified to do so (fair), its not fair to palm this of onto us (also fair) and in any event, I dont see you unless you are damned near terminal ( :D ). More to the point, how the hell do we know you will not go yhatzee the day after we sign the form?"

Its not really workable and will just slow down an already slow system. All this said, with modern IT systems there is no reason why the licensing authorities should not get access to records easilly, but then what qualifies them to make a judgement? Not really a GPs problem either as invariably if you have had a problem you will be reffered on, but I guess that alone is potentially cause for further digging. Easilly done on the telephone though ;)

Sadly, the laws are interpreted and applied differently by various forces, some well, some not so well.
38Super
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: FDPC

#25 Post by 38Super »

Just seen this on my local surgery website under private charges.
411_202_27.png
Avon & Somerset.
I don't remember anything like that on my grant 4 years ago.
Tacticool
Home club or Range: EMMR

#26 Post by Tacticool »

That’s not too bad I suppose. Worse than what it should be but I was thinking it was going to be £80+

Sent from my boing using "An application"
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#27 Post by dromia »

The price is irrelevant, it is the principle that is wrong and should never be agreed to, firearms certification is a public safety issue and as such it should be funded from the public purse.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Lancs_Oakley
Home club or Range: Diggle

#28 Post by Lancs_Oakley »

Could of things.

1)Given that all HGV drivers have to have an initial medical and then follow up medicals later down the line I can tell you doctors do not give a flying banana. The number of HGV/PSV drivers I have seen who are clearly medically unfit to drive yet they still get to carry on because Dr Looktheotherway has signed them off makes me sick.

2)Are we going to vet the Docs? They are handling sensitive info. I am sure 99% of doctors are honest but do we really want a group of people being able to compile a list of firearms owners in the area? Lets say Mr Bloggs goes into see his GP for his FAC. Quick chat, look over records. Bla. A month later Mr B is back, getting his shots for a 4 week trip to the far east... nope I dont like that one jot.