New alarm requested by firearms licensing.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: New alarm requested by firearms licensing.

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

Interestingly despite having a monitored alarm they are probably not going to attend unless you have a Police ERN - Electronic Response Number (From memory) which the Police bill you for at the initial registration. They also bill you per source so if you have an alarm plus a panic button you will have to pay twice times from memory.

When we filled in the ERN questionnaire and ticked all the boxes including machinery, explosives, hazardous chemicals, firearms, ammunition, dogs and many more it certainly prompted a series of drive bys from the local police. Even the neighbours commented on just how many had appeared all of a sudden.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#12 Post by Airbrush »

My FEO always asks have I got an alarm on renewal, 'no but I've got a terrier,' keeps him happy. lol
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#13 Post by hitchphil »

Daryll wrote:The Home Office guidance suggests that over 10 bangsticks moves you up to Level 2 (i.e Alarmed) security. The actual number depends on various factors, including crime rates.
Some areas it may be 10, other areas it could be 2...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 16_v20.pdf

Page 174...

When I had my last variation i was asked if I had an alarm.. i said no, but i have cctv covering the front and rear of the house, and they were happy with that.
Its still only guidance - they cant turn it into law with a threat to prosecute - you have to transgress a law to be arrested then prosecuted, not guidance, they are bluffing & its rubbish. Agree to what the law says not what separate FEOs think, & if they ask over their remit say no not until you have had advice from the legal officer at your NGO. we need to stop this implementation of 'rules' by precedence or wish.

Internet cctv enabled alarms are quite adequate & allow you to watch what the 'guard dog' is actually doing when you are not in!
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
MistAgain

#14 Post by MistAgain »

hitchphil wrote:
Daryll wrote:The Home Office guidance suggests that over 10 bangsticks moves you up to Level 2 (i.e Alarmed) security. The actual number depends on various factors, including crime rates.
Some areas it may be 10, other areas it could be 2...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 16_v20.pdf

Page 174...

When I had my last variation i was asked if I had an alarm.. i said no, but i have cctv covering the front and rear of the house, and they were happy with that.
Its still only guidance - they cant turn it into law with a threat to prosecute - you have to transgress a law to be arrested then prosecuted, not guidance, they are bluffing & its rubbish. !
I believe that at least one of the Merseyside RFD's who had their certs revoked , had the revocation based on "guidance".
Sim G
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Sim G »

bambam has been told that he is required to update his alarm on the basis of the number of firearms alone he may be able to hold. That contradicts the Firearm Security Handbook.

Sensible it may be to review your own security from time to time and technology certainly has allowed reasonably priced, decent systems. But to mandate it, then threaten if the “request” is not carried out is not the way the police should be conducting their business. BASC as well as the dept manager need a word here!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#16 Post by Racalman »

BamBam wrote:Just had a letter and long-story-short, due to the number of "weapons" I now own, or can own after recent variation, I need an audible alarm with dial up facility.

I already have an audible alarm but where am I going to find a 516K dial up modem?

Has anybody else had this?
Did they say who it had to dial?

I don't have many firearms but I take security seriously and have installed CCTV to front and rear of the building plus an alarm. I can monitor the cameras from my smartphone and I added a GSM dial-up module so I get a call and text if the alarm is triggered.

A word of caution on CCTV if you monitor it over the internet. The Swann systems that Maplin used to sell were very popular, but apart from the mediocre quality of the cameras they had a serious security flaw. They use a Chinese web server that comes with a hard coded master password which is readily available on the internet and I have first hand experience of being hacked! I now have a reputable system locked down with a VPN running on my router.
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#17 Post by dodgyrog »

I've just upgraded my alarm to a monitored system (previously a dial up). Using the original sensors and wiring and including maintenance charge and monitoring charge (for the year) it came to £700
The system is no longer reliant on a land line either.
£700 is expensive but less than the price of a good rifle or scope so isn't extortionate.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#18 Post by Geek »

I didn't have any specific request to upgrade security, however, I added a modem and telephone line to my alarm which dials my mobile when the alarm is activated. Also had CCTV installed front and rear of the house (two hard wired cameras and equipment, excluding TV and power supplies was about £600); additional cameras are £150 installed), which can be viewed on my phone.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S