New wording for the S1 Shotgun condition

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
38Super
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: FDPC

New wording for the S1 Shotgun condition

#1 Post by 38Super »

Hot off the press from Avon & Somerset with (presumably) the latest version of the S1 Shotgun condition.
FAC condition .jpg
Does this mean I can't use it for Target Shotgun? Only PSG??
Or only shoot Target shotgun on 'land' not 'range'??
Or does 'land (with) lawful authority' include ranges??
Furiouspilgrim
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: 49th

Re: New wording for the S1 Shotgun condition

#2 Post by Furiouspilgrim »

Doesn’t seem anything odd with that. States practical target shooting which would cover PSG and Target shotgun. Says you can use it on ranges, the land part is related to lawful authority which you would have at a range.
38Super

#3 Post by 38Super »

I'm inclined to agree with you however I'm not sure that is their intent.
It looks to me like an attempt to restrict the use to PSG only and the 'land' is intended to refer to places other than approved ranges.
The interpretation could easily be argued either way. There was no need to add the work practical to an otherwise reasonable condition.
I'm also wondering why they felt the need to to add the make and serial number of my existing shotgun to the condition.
Furiouspilgrim
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: 49th

#4 Post by Furiouspilgrim »

Have you questioned it with them?
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

Looks like A&S have 'gone off piste' the same way Durham, and Cleveland have and made something up themselves. I think you're over thinking the practical/target shotgun element though, they're just wanting to say target shooting but reference it being practical-style shooting IMO. If you're not happy with it write a polite letter back to get the Home Office version instead;

"The smooth-bore gun/solid-slug shall be used for practical target shooting,

(a) The smoothbore gun(s) which this certificate relates shall be used for target shooting on land and ranges where the holder has lawful authority to shoot (providing that adequate financial arrangements are in place to meet any injury or damage claim), for disciplines and courses of fire approved by the BWSS or NRA or NTSA or UKPSA.

(b) The solid slug ammunition to which this certificate relates shall be used for target shooting on ranges where the holder has lawful authority to shoot provided that adequate financial arrangements are in place to meet injury or damage claim.”

Durham and Clevelands version is/was this;

“The SMOOTH-BORE GUN/SOLID SLUG shall be used for practical target shooting:-

a. On ranges suitable for the safe use of that class of firearm and with adequate financial arrangements in place to meet any injury or damage claim, or;

b. Over a course of fire approved by a qualified member of the UKPSA on land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.”

One interpretation of this condition is that it can ONLY be used on 'ranges' (read HO approved ranges), and/or over a course of fire approved by a 'qualified' member of the UKPSA. As there's no definition of what a 'qualified member of the UKPSA' is in the Firearms Guidance for FLD's, this could be (and has) been interpreted as either, anyone who is a member of the UKPSA, or a certified Range Officer 5mith So in the strictest reading of the condition, unless you're at a HO approved range and an official from the UKPSA is there to approve your CoF you ain't shooting! This is precisely why I got mine changed to the HO one.

I don't really think yours is a particularly bad condition, considering it appears to cover you for ranges AND land (which IMO is THE most important aspect), and also doesn't restrict you to CoF approved by the UKPSA.
DVC
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#6 Post by HH1 »

I have three Sect. 1 shoguns... 2 Benelli's used for Target Shotgun and a Chiappa 1887 for Cowboy Action.
All three of these shotguns can (and have) be used for clay pigeon as detailed on my FAC.
38Super

#7 Post by 38Super »

Thanks all
I'm mainly concerned that practical target shooting doesn't cover target shotgun.
They have also given me the clay pigeon condition.
Rarms
Past Supporter

#8 Post by Rarms »

Write and ask them to change it if you don't feel it is correct for what you require. They should be able to amend it to suit. I had a standard LBP condition amended to suit my requirements.