Transfer forms.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
BamBam

Transfer forms.

#1 Post by BamBam »

I've only been scanning and saving everything FAC related for a couple of years, but just had an email requesting an old transfer form from before time that I have records for.

Are we legally obligated to keep all transfer/disposal forms?
J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

Re: Transfer forms.

#2 Post by J4mes »

I shouldn't imagine so....but I expect your force probably is for a considerable amount of time.

I bet they've been/ being audited and lost it!
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

No. You are only obliged to inform the police in writing, with seven days of the transfer/disposal. The method of how that “writing” takes place is not stipulated, just the delivery method. The Disposal Forms themselves actually state that you are not obliged to use them. So if you’re not obliged to use them, you’re not obliged to keep them.

If the police are satisfied that you did inform them because of removal from your certificate, frankly, it’s their problem, not yours.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#4 Post by Andy632 »

Could be worse, I believe rfds are expected to keep their registers for 20 years. Used to be 5 years before the EU stuck it's part in!
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Rambles35
Home club or Range: NRA

#5 Post by Rambles35 »

Sussex allow notification by email
BamBam

#6 Post by BamBam »

All sorted.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#7 Post by hitchphil »

Beds & Herts accept an email, i use their std form less the word weapon that i changed to firearm. :good:

Email is a great way to archive history I just drop them in a folder - Club Firearms.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Rockhopper

#8 Post by Rockhopper »

The only problem with email is that just because you can can prove you sent it isn’t proof that they received it unless they have an auto reply set up and even that isn’t 100% depending on how the various email servers along the way are configured.
David TS
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms, LERA, SEESA

#9 Post by David TS »

NPCC/College of Policing records retention recommendation is six years for most firearms licensing issues.

Some forces are hot on their records disposal procedures in general, because it cuts down the time spent on FOI requests.

If it is over six years ago that a force has a notification and are asking for copies, it is likely that they received the original notification, but have subsequently destroyed it.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Sim G »

Rockhopper wrote:The only problem with email is that just because you can can prove you sent it isn’t proof that they received it unless they have an auto reply set up and even that isn’t 100% depending on how the various email servers along the way are configured.

Believe it or not, with regards to the legislation governing notification, it matters not that the police prove they receive, it’s only for you to prove it was sent.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!