From a Czech warehouse to a street near you - Article

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Re: From a Czech warehouse to a street near you - Article

#21 Post by shugie »

Sim G wrote:
shugie wrote:
Sim G wrote:There wasn’t a lot of choice. We’d have ended up with the same sort of economy as Greece and Italy. !
If it wasn't for the fact that corporation and the higher levels bands of income tax have decreased, I'd be inclined to agree with you. The choice wasn't between becoming like Greece, we have a lot more wealth than they do, and our tax system works, more or less. It was a political choice to lower taxes by reducing the money going to public services. And the same thing happened in the last budget, income tax changes for higher earners made them better off, lower down the pay scale, changes in National Insurance negated the slight improvement for basic rate tax payers. But there was no more money for policing..

Corporation tax did go down, to its lowest level for a long time, but the money collected in corporation tax has actually gone up to record levels! That’s no doubt because low taxation for corporations makes it a far more attractive place to trade and set up, so more are doing it.

No, there was no more money for policing. In real terms funding is 18% lower than it was in 2010 and my salary is worth 22% less, if memory serves.

We’ve heard stories of police officers in London now claiming for free school meals for their children....

What I will say about violence in London in particular, as that’s what grabs headlines. London, during the day with commuters and tourists has a population of around 11 million. About the same as Belgium. Belgium has about 1200 murders a year. London, with around 120 won’t be doing too bad! Got to be careful not to sensationalise it.

And as for police numbers. England and Wales has about 120000 coppers with about 6000 of those armed. France, after the terrorist attacks were able to deploy 240000 police officers. Nigh on all armed. I believe they are now all armed and are encouraged to take their service weapons home and carry off duty. Could you get imagine such an idea was even considered here....?
I've had an interesting conversation with a Met firearms officer, he describes his area as being like "the wild west", and before doing his firearms training was attacked by someone with a sword.

The amount of corporation tax did increase, but there is no evidence to suggest that dropping the rate of corporation tax increased UK business, most of the increase in value came because the economy was picking up. For most companies, the cost of changing operating country exceeds the worth of small percentage changes in corporation tax, and for smaller business, the introduction of the dividend tax more than negated any decrease in corporation tax. The main beneficiaries were big companies who carried on doing what they were doing before, but with a lower tax bill.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Sim G
Past Supporter

#22 Post by Sim G »

Pretty much the same all round the country...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-462614 ... t-come-out
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
shugie
Past Supporter

#23 Post by shugie »

Sim G wrote:Pretty much the same all round the country...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-462614 ... t-come-out
It's like reverting back to the time before public policing, when wealthy people had their own protection when in public. I understand what Froggy is saying about the origins of the problem, but in England before we had any police forces, it was way more anarchic in cities than it is now. We've let a lot of people into the UK who come from very different cultures, with a very different idea of the rule of law. While it might be a nice idea to send them back whence they came, there seems no political will to do it. Increasing police numbers and prison places substantially would at the least get some of the more troublesome characters out of the public domain. If the criminals think they are unlikely to get caught, and won't face prison if they do, why would they obey the law?
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#24 Post by Pete »

Incorporating the "when in Rome, do as the Romans" concept into the legal framework of Brit. society might work.
Probably a bit too progressive for our god bothering, self-serving politicians and their acolytes, though............

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#25 Post by froggy »

I understand what Froggy is saying about the origins of the problem,
Dont get me wrong, criminality knows no races or religions, but knowingly importing additional problems simply defies human intelligence wallhead
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
shugie
Past Supporter

#26 Post by shugie »

froggy wrote: I understand what Froggy is saying about the origins of the problem,
Dont get me wrong, criminality knows no races or religions, but knowingly importing additional problems simply defies human intelligence wallhead
No argument from me on that one, we already had enough homegrown troublemakers to allow more in was very stupid.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#27 Post by Pete »

I'd still like to know what can realistically be done about immigration..............take shooting as an analogy.

Something goes badly wrong, and it's the legal gun owners who get caned to appease Joe Public..........
The gov tries to show it's on top of immigration, and guess what, it's the people coming in legally with passports, jobs etc. who will be "regulated", not the passengers on the small boats that can make landfall at night wherever there's a beach.
And taxes............no need to worry about the corporations, milk the poor mugs on PAYE

And on ad infinitum.......

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
artiglio

#28 Post by artiglio »

On the policing numbers bit, ther was an incident near me, described as a disturbance that arose during an eviction , one man was arrested. I had driven past the incident and assumed the world was about to end. 5 police cars, 2 fire appliances and an ambulance, road was closed.

Is it a case of health and safety policies along with safeguarding all involved that the numbers of resources now needed to attend an incident are higher now than in earlier years.
Another comment from the police in a report earlier in the year was that , around 50% of the incidents the police attend in the area have a mental health component, which suggests lack of funding elsewhere just pushes problems elsewhere.

As for locking people up , that’s all very well , but a complete waste of time if there is no rehabilitation, education and training to offer offenders a chance of finding another route in life on their release. Not that there are those who beyond redemption, though hopefully these are in the minority.

In margate we have cliftonville west, fourth most deprived ward in the country. Should be a decent place to live, but over the years its been filled with all sorts of undesirables , the policy seems to let them deal drugs and run brothels , keep it contained and do little about it unless there is any real harm/ violence.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#29 Post by GeeRam »

froggy wrote: I understand what Froggy is saying about the origins of the problem,
Since when have any politicians demonstrated any degree of observable intelligence..............?