Ultrasonic cleaning of gun and polished parts

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Ultrasonic cleaning of gun and polished parts

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

We periodically clean parts in an ultrasonic cleaner and normally use James SeaClean. Just recently we have been experimenting with cleaning aluminium and stainless parts fresh off the polisher into the tank filled with Paraffin and seeing very good results. The combination of paraffin and ultrasonic process does a good job of removing the residue and seems to be a lot friendlier than cleaning the parts by hand with acetone. To this end we are looking at investing in a larger capacity system, probably a 10 litre tank. Does anyone have any views on the use of paraffin or alternatives as the new cleaner will have the ability to heat the tank contents up to 80C which would exceed the flashpoint of the liquid so not an option.

Thoughts anyone? The current process certainly works well at luke warm temperatures.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Ultrasonic cleaning of gun and polished parts

#2 Post by Pete »

I found ultrasonic + paraffin to be better than vapour cleaning/de-greasing using Trichlorethylene back in the day..........
I periodically clean rifle actions by de-stocking, removing scope & trigger assy, then lowering into a 250ml nylon measuring cylinder containing enough paraffin to cover.
This is then stood in an old Decon ex lab ultrasonic bath filled with water, and buzzed for half an hour or so at ambient temp..............works really well, gets every trace of crud out.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Dahonis

Re: Ultrasonic cleaning of gun and polished parts

#3 Post by Dahonis »

I have cleaned many firearms by dropping them in diesel for around 30 minutes whilst serving in Northern Ireland. It cleaned them well enough from memory.