50 cal ban dropped?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Gazza

Re: 50 cal ban dropped?

#91 Post by Gazza »

The other half was watching Jeremy Vine on the propaganda machine this morning and I happened to catch a bit about the Cygnet being killed by multiple air rifle pellets.
I watched with great interest as the panel called for regulation of these "weapons" etc etc and generally put the sport in a bad position.
The last noise from Jeremy Vine was "these guns should be regulated to stop them killing again" to which Terry Christian piped up and left the panel speechless when he said " its not the guns that kill its the people"
To have the final word on this with no retort was excellent and gave the shooting world a glimmer of hope that this nonsense is being countered on the TV by celebs. :good:
Doz
Past Supporter

#92 Post by Doz »

safetyfirst wrote:We’ve got a head start already with the amount of call of duty and battlefield they’re all playing.
Sadly in my experience it doesn't work like that - they'd rather play the games, real shooting is too much like hard work!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#93 Post by Alpha1 »

Doz wrote:
safetyfirst wrote:We’ve got a head start already with the amount of call of duty and battlefield they’re all playing.
Sadly in my experience it doesn't work like that - they'd rather play the games, real shooting is too much like hard work!
I am 67 years old I have been playing call of duty since it first came out I play mainly on sniping servers. I also create sniping maps for the game and have done so for a lot of years. I have been shooting for over 30 years. I can take a headshot on a moving target in call of duty at incredible distances and hit my intended target. The difference between doing that and shooting long distances for real is no comparison.
One day on the range and they would be rushing home to play on the Xbox. Call of duty is no help to our cause at all take it from me.

I can point you to some good sniping servers if you want to have a go.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#94 Post by safetyfirst »

Oh I don’t know, you’ve only got to spend a little time on the manchester mini rifle circuit to spot the call of duty players.
RDC

#95 Post by RDC »

safetyfirst wrote:Oh I don’t know, you’ve only got to spend a little time on the manchester mini rifle circuit to spot the call of duty players.
Is it still going?
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#96 Post by snayperskaya »

Alpha1 wrote:
Doz wrote:
I am 67 years old I have been playing call of duty since it first came out I play mainly on sniping servers. I also create sniping maps for the game and have done so for a lot of years.
I used to love sniping on the Hurtgen, Brecourt and Pavlov's House maps on the original COD on PC, BusySnipers was one of my favourite servers.....those were the days!

One custom map I remember was set in a huge kitchen!
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

#97 Post by TomH »

Gazza wrote:The other half was watching Jeremy Vine on the propaganda machine this morning and I happened to catch a bit about the Cygnet being killed by multiple air rifle pellets.
I watched with great interest as the panel called for regulation of these "weapons" etc etc and generally put the sport in a bad position.
The last noise from Jeremy Vine was "these guns should be regulated to stop them killing again" to which Terry Christian piped up and left the panel speechless when he said " its not the guns that kill its the people"
To have the final word on this with no retort was excellent and gave the shooting world a glimmer of hope that this nonsense is being countered on the TV by celebs. :good:
Watching TV Gazza? On the 23rd of November 2017, you posted in GOM:
Well, thats them told..........
.....to shove it up their arses!
As from the end of the month we will not be having a TV licence :good:
I've not wanted one for years but the wife insisted we did so she can watch some s*** or other at night.
Anyway, a few days ago she said enough is enough and the propaganda licence/tax will not be renewed.
The boss changed her mind? lol lol
Gazza

#98 Post by Gazza »

Over a year now without a licence :good: lol
James84

#99 Post by James84 »

I put myself in the 'younger generation' and from my perspective, young people definitely want to shoot but from what I have seen, most don't even know that they can.

I keep my shooting to myself, as in I don't broadcast it online and don't discuss it with people I don't know. My friends and family that do know frequently ask me if they can try it, especially those around 30. In the last 2 years I have successfully gotten 5 friends and colleagues into shooting who have joined clubs and got their FAC.

All of them said the same thing on their first try - "I didn't know I could do this?!?". Even when I was serving, it amazed me how many people had no idea what you could shoot as a civilian.

I've often thought that clubs and representative bodies don't advertise or make the wider public aware of shooting, maybe due to possible negative attention? Quite a lot of clubs I have seen recently are full and aren't taking new applications. How are young people meant to get into shooting if they don't know about it and in some cases, can't find a club to start at? Even guest days at Bisley are only attended by guests of (please correct me if I am wrong) NRA members who have invited them. Shooting as a sport doesn't seem to be outwardly/publicly facing and the community is introvert. As above, probably due to negative attention which it would undoubtedly receive if it pushed out a 'come try shooting, you might find it fun!' campaign. Imagine the newspaper articles...

The NRA push out some good coverage of what happens at Bisley over Facebook but I'm still yet to see an advert for a local range or organisation come up. You only see those pictures if you go searching for them and follow the NRA specifically. Again, perhaps less is better? It's a difficult one.

One other thing I've noticed is that a number of younger people come into shooting with an interest in modern rifles and disciplines, aka 'black rifles' and IPSC, PSG, Gallery, CSR etc. These attitudes/interests don't seem to be received with the same enthusiasm as they would have perhaps been received 25 - 35 years ago, pre-pistol and semi-auto bans. Maybe I'm wrong, it's before my time but seeing the lad down the end of the line getting remarks because he's popping away with his .22 AR-15 and the next guy with his straight pull AK (or MARS rifle :squirrel:) suggests to me that there's a gap which is perhaps generational? Similar to music? Maybe I've just seen a few bad examples.

I started shooting properly at 13 years of age and the first club I joined only catered for prone shooting with an Anschutz, jacket and sling. I enjoyed it but we had young people turn up, shoot 3 or 4 times and then never return. The older pax would ask me "why?". The simple answer is (in my opinion) that they want to shoot more varied/exciting firearms and disciplines. I guess it's like wanting to get into a band at school, going to your music lesson and being told that you can only learn the recorder. It puts you off.

But yes, there is also unfortunately a large proportion of youngsters who see firearms as evil, but hasn't that always been the case?

I'm typing this from the US the eve before going out with an AR-10 to ping steel from 100 - 1000 yards and then burn through 400 rounds on an M60, so I can't complain.
Tacticool
Home club or Range: EMMR

#100 Post by Tacticool »

In my experience Airsoft sites are a fertile recruiting ground to get the young into our club, mainly into UKPSA. Conversely lots of the old boy shooters also end up playing Airsoft - everyone’s a winner!

Sent from my boing using "An application"