Ban on Civilian use of SARTS?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Dahonis

Re: Ban on Civilian use of SARTS?

#21 Post by Dahonis »

*hired being the key word.
Yamavira
Home club or Range: Catterick

#22 Post by Yamavira »

Meaning "To be paid for at an HOURLY rate" in addition to all other range fees.. Depending on the particular Range person's contract (MOD, Landmarc, 5/7, Nil hours) the rate can be 29.50/hr up to almost 40/hr PLUS VAT.

Adds a big lump to a club's bill, especially if they are shooting all day Saturday.

yamavira.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#23 Post by Alpha1 »

Yamavira wrote:As stated earlier. Civilian clubs have never been allowed to operate SARTS systems on the Catterick ranges. Furthermore should a Landmarc qualified Range person be a member of a civilian rifle club he/she is NOT allowed to operate the system on a club range day. ANOTHER qualified Range person must be hired to operate the system.

When booking a range on the Catterick complex using the newly introduced BAMS system one must now state on an attached Email what type of targetry will be used . A copy of the club's RASP must also be attached (Maj. Fox instruction).

yamavira.
That is correct. It costs £29.71per hour for an operative to operate the sytem plus £36 per lane. Plus vat. So not a cheap day out if you are there all day.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#24 Post by WelshShooter »

I believe Sennybridge F range operates with ETR targets, and there's always been a range officer in attendance who operates them. But I haven't been there since September 2017 due to ban on field firing ranges...

There's talk about redoing danger templates (in general) per FCSA communication, so does that mean field firing ranges could be reconsidered for Civilian use or is the ban permenant?
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#25 Post by Maggot »

snayperskaya wrote:I thought civilian clubs were stopped from using MOD field-fire ranges?
Field firing ranges usually refers to the safety template R (allowing wider arcs than usual as required for live fire an manouver without fixed firing points etc). Given the silliness we used to get up to in Sennybridge or Warminster this is a bloody good thing wtf

Stickledown at Bisley is an odd one because although it has field firing range templates, it has a fixed butts and firing points.

SARTS or ETR targets can pop up anywhere, either at different ranges with fixed firing points (Ash for example) or fixed butts with different ranged (Henley park CGR, converted gallery range that has SARTS kit fitted on top of the mantlet on front of the butts). Some can have both CGR and frames.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#26 Post by Sim G »

There certainly seems to be more and more instances where the supervisors and managers of military ranges are going out of their way to make life difficult. There is a SNCO on the mil ranges we use who reminds me perfectly why I chose not to stay in the army.

Time and time again the lack of a properly fostered civilian marksmanship ethos has been proven to weaken British military effectiveness in actual conflict. Skills and equipment developed in civilian sports transfer to the military arena seemlessly. Just read Gen. Wheeler’s submission to the Cullen Enquiry. Some of those within the MoD and their partner agencies could do with being reminded of this...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#27 Post by Maggot »

Sim G wrote:There certainly seems to be more and more instances where the supervisors and managers of military ranges are going out of their way to make life difficult. There is a SNCO on the mil ranges we use who reminds me perfectly why I chose not to stay in the army.

Time and time again the lack of a properly fostered civilian marksmanship ethos has been proven to weaken British military effectiveness in actual conflict. Skills and equipment developed in civilian sports transfer to the military arena seemlessly. Just read Gen. Wheeler’s submission to the Cullen Enquiry. Some of those within the MoD and their partner agencies could do with being reminded of this...
Or lack of skill, which is why I binned the ACF PDQ. Some very good bods but very few (I have to be honest I doubt my area was representative, least I hope not).
Alberto
Home club or Range: VPRC

#28 Post by Alberto »

I wonder if there is a case to be made that conscription should be illegal, or that basic training must be longer, as we are forbidden to train in civilian life. Isn’t it infringing the recruits’ human rights? If the cost of the armed forces went up because of the firearms restrictions the restrictions might be lessened or at least not increased. We are dealing with people that know the cost of everything and the value of nothing. [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my boing using "An application"
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - Marcus Tullius Cicero