Sights from USA

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Keithkilvo1
Home club or Range: ARPC

Sights from USA

#1 Post by Keithkilvo1 »

Hi
I am hoping to buy some vintage Lyman sights from an individual in the USA but wondered if it’s OK for him to sell them to me and ship to the UK
Any info would be appreciated
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

Re: Sights from USA

#2 Post by safetyfirst »

I think there is a dollar limit to the value of the item to fall underneath the ITAR threshold. I’ve had things officially shipped to me by big companies at around $120 with no issues.
James84

#3 Post by James84 »

After a recent trip and much, much reading, I believe I am now well-versed on the mess that is ITAR... but I am no expert.

There is a $100 exemption ($500 for Canada) for 'small parts' which would include these vintage sights. The issue is that the seller still needs to have an export licence/permit and will need to file the exemption under the Automated Export System (AES).

Basically, if something is under $100, you still need an export licence and you have to register and put it through the AES. If it is over $100, they need a full ITAR export licence and the relevant export licence, i.e. Brownells ship in the UK but that's one of the reasons why Brownells UK is so much more expensive than the US, because of the extra paperwork, fees, licences and shipping + markup required.

This applies even if you are going to hand carry something ITAR that is under $100 out of the country. You need an export licence and to file it on the AES. The chances of getting caught are minimal. I would say that unless they're specifically looking for YOU that there is a 0.01% chance of being searched by the relevant agency, but if you do get caught, it's either a 'we're taking that, bye now' or a 'we're taking that, here's a $10,000 fine and maybe some prison time'.

Basically, it's a way of keeping US Industry and interests in the US. I would say that posting anything small like that would get through no problem anyway. It's just finding someone willing to actually ship it.
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#4 Post by ukrifleman »

Then you have the hassle of UK customs!

There is a good chance any package from the US will be held up by HMRC once it gets into the UK.

I purchased a Grip-N-Pull bullet puller from a company in the US and it was held up in Coventry sorting office for over 6 weeks and by the time I had paid the extra duties, the price had increased by nearly 75%.

ukrifleman.
Keithkilvo1
Home club or Range: ARPC

#5 Post by Keithkilvo1 »

It seems like a none starter by the sound of it