Thames Valley - Renewal of FAC two years earlier.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Thames Valley - Renewal of FAC two years earlier.

#11 Post by Sim G »

kennyc wrote:this will be the same TVP that specifically told me they couldn't alter the timings of renewal as the length of the certificate was set in law and the Police had no power to vary it ?

That’s right, it couldn’t be altered until the power was granted to the Home Secretary with the Crime and Policing Act 2017. But the Home Sec still has to make specific orders, it’s not a carte blanche...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#12 Post by Racalman »

Dark Skies wrote:BUT only if they will allow me to keep hold of my FAC so that I can still buy ammunition, primers, caps and so on in the meantime.
Why wouldn't they? You send a photocopy of your FAC with your renewal, not the orginal.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#13 Post by GeeRam »

Racalman wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:BUT only if they will allow me to keep hold of my FAC so that I can still buy ammunition, primers, caps and so on in the meantime.
Why wouldn't they? You send a photocopy of your FAC with your renewal, not the orginal.
Not sure about TVP, but Met.Police definately require you to send in the original with the renewal (and won't process it if you send in a copy) and I've heard that's the case with some other forces as well.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#14 Post by Mattnall »

GeeRam wrote:
Racalman wrote:
Not sure about TVP, but Met.Police definately require you to send in the original with the renewal (and won't process it if you send in a copy) and I've heard that's the case with some other forces as well.
You don't need to send in your original or a copy on renewal, after all the same police department should have a record of what they issued you with 5 years earlier.

And you need to buy ammo and possibly firearms whilst the license is still valid and you have to send it in so early now because of inefficiencies or lack of staffing and they cannot cope. I paid for a 5 year certificate and therefore I am entitled to 5 years of use out of it.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Keithkilvo1
Home club or Range: ARPC

#15 Post by Keithkilvo1 »

TVP do not require your original certificate for renewal a photocopy is sufficient. You keep your current certificate so that you can still buy ammo, primers etc.
I have to say that the service I have received from them over the last 18 month or so has been outstanding.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#16 Post by Daryll »

Cambridgeshire require you to send in the original FAC with renewals, and say so on the form. I think the idea is that you cannot have 2 FAC's in your possession, as they can't guarantee you'll destroy the old one when you receive the new one.
(You can't have old and new as you could have had a "slot", permissions or conditions removed at renewal, but they will still be on the old one.)
jimbo303

#17 Post by jimbo303 »

TVP turned around a variation earlier this year for me in under 2 weeks. I presently have my FAC and SGC with them for renewal and made a point of submitting early.

A friend at my Club had a total nightmare with them on his last renewal - temp cert for nearly 9 months, great that he could hold his firearms but couldnt purchase ammunition. He has now been offered the "early bird" discount too. His last renewal amd maybe the OP's too was hit by the "Biblical Floods" that swamped the Firearms Department and led to severe delys etc etc cough cough splutter etc.

On looking at it it hardly seemed worth it until he realised that if he wants to add another slot, which he has decided he wants to, he can merrily do this at renewal and save the variation fee - so in his case it makes clear sense.

There is no doubt that they have got better, but there is clealry a huge spike predicted for 2 years time due to the flood and other issues so if they are to have any chance of meeting perfromance levels it makes sense to offer this option. OK income will be down but it would easily be better than having to pay additional staff or overtime when the peak hits.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#18 Post by GeeRam »

Mattnall wrote: You don't need to send in your original or a copy on renewal, after all the same police department should have a record of what they issued you with 5 years earlier.
Well, you do for the Met, and they say so on the form. I've also verbally confirmed this at the Met's Club Secs meeting at Empress Building last year, and was told 'we won't process until you send in the original'.
knewmans

#19 Post by knewmans »

The Met guidance notes state

"In the case of an application for renewal, a signed and dated recent copy of the certificate to be renewed should be sent to police when you submit your application."

https://www.met.police.uk/ar/applyregis ... nce-notes/

This is what I did for my renewal this year.

For variations they want the original.
Ken
fra150l

#20 Post by fra150l »

I just renewed with Hampshire. Sent in copies of FAC/SGC. They were so quick with renewal I had two of each licence as old hand not expired and new not started.