Thames Valley - Renewal of FAC two years earlier.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Thames Valley - Renewal of FAC two years earlier.

#41 Post by Dark Skies »

Keithkilvo1 wrote:I have also received one of the letters, what sort of fee have you guys encountered from the GP?

Cheers
I don't know yet. It's early days under the new system for me. My own GP is usually pretty decent about these things - she may not charge anything if the reply expected of her is just a few lines.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."

#42 Post by 7792 »

Just as an FYI, I have my first application in (CoTerminus FAC/SGC) and I have had a letter from my GP requesting I pay the princely sum of £48.00 (£40.00 + VAT) to comply with Derbyshire Police's request.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#43 Post by dromia »

If there is no medical reason for a report then refuse to pay it, the firearms certification department has no power to enforce this or use it as grounds to with hold the processing of the application.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/

#44 Post by 7792 »

I did see this mentioned a few times but that some forces (not Derbyshire from what I could see) are now insisting they need to have the medical report.

Isn't the issue that they need to verify there is 'no medical reason' and just taking my word for it isn't good enough?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#45 Post by dromia »

The agreed process is that the drs are supposed to flag up any potential issues, you give the certification department authority to access your records when you apply, if there are any issues flagged up then the certification department can ask for further medical evidence with you can be asked to pay for. Once again we were shafted by our "national" bodies on that, also greedy unprofessional GPs just see it as a way of making money or pursuing their anti gun agenda.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

dromia
Site Admin

#46 Post by dromia »

Durham are doing this at present but when challenged they back down saying there is no way they can enforce this as it it is not agreed practice. They are just trying to cover their backs if a certificate holder goes mental, they can say that the gp said they were fit to have firearms. It is just blame avoidance and does nothing to improve public safety, the GPs just see it as another way of them lining their pockets.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

#47 Post by 7792 »

Gotcha, so would you recommend contacting the FEO and explaining the situation or just simply not paying and see what happens? I wouldn't want it to gather dust while they wait for a report that isn't going to arrive...
dromia
Site Admin

#48 Post by dromia »

I would ask the certification department what agreed procedure this is they are using as the basis for this request.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

#49 Post by 7792 »

Righto - will give them a call tomorrow.

Cheers!
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#50 Post by Lancs Lad »

I recently renewed my FAC with Lancashire Police. 8 weeks for the process which is pretty much what they stated but that did include the Christmas Holiday period. No issues with GP fees or the like. Pretty painless really.

Regards LL