Winter barrel corrosion

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
rufrdr

Re: Winter barrel corrosion

#11 Post by rufrdr »

This is probably going to bring some chuckles, but I use garage door roller spray lube. it dries and leaves a non sticky coating on the metal. My firearms are in my garage in locked cabinets with a desiccant device in each one . The humidity reaches about 80% some days and so far no sign of rust.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

Our Coalman turned up this week and as ever the discussion moved to guns, his beloved Lincoln 12 Bore had not been out of the cabinet since middle of last year and he was horrified to see rust on the barrels when he checked it last week. I was inclined to suggest an angle grinder however instead I gave him some ultrafine wire wool and told him to rub very lightly with a 3-1 sewing machine oil or similar instead.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#13 Post by Maggot »

Ovenpaa wrote:Our Coalman turned up this week and as ever the discussion moved to guns, his beloved Lincoln 12 Bore had not been out of the cabinet since middle of last year and he was horrified to see rust on the barrels when he checked it last week. I was inclined to suggest an angle grinder however instead I gave him some ultrafine wire wool and told him to rub very lightly with a 3-1 sewing machine oil or similar instead.
3 in 1 is a good honest oil Dave, unlike that WD40 snakeoil s*** teanews

Some people dont realise they can have "rusty fingers", meaning that any contact with blued or white steel will rust in short order. My blued airgun parts always got a wipe with an oily rag before putting away, never had any rust.

I occasionally get a bit on some screws on the ARs after a good downpour but I have got on top of that now. I tend also to leave them out of the bags on the way home then leave them in front of the telly to dry out.

I hate rust :bad:
rufrdr

#14 Post by rufrdr »

I use an old U.S. 5 cent coin and rub the coin edgewise on the rust. It removes the rust without disturbing the finish around the rust. A similar soft coin should do the trick

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
Ovenpaa

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

Maggot wrote:3 in 1 is a good honest oil Dave, unlike that WD40 snakeoil s*** teanews

Some people dont realise they can have "rusty fingers", meaning that any contact with blued or white steel will rust in short order. My blued airgun parts always got a wipe with an oily rag before putting away, never had any rust.

I occasionally get a bit on some screws on the ARs after a good downpour but I have got on top of that now. I tend also to leave them out of the bags on the way home then leave them in front of the telly to dry out.

I hate rust :bad:
My views on W*** are well documented :)

Most firearms in for a clean and service are given a final wipe and put away by the Viking wearing white cotton gloves. I have always said treat it a if you are trying to hide your fingerprints. I remember a particularly fine looking Miroku MK38 years ago with a perfect thumbprint on the underside of the action and once it is there it is a sod to remove.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#16 Post by Ovenpaa »

rufrdr wrote:I use an old U.S. 5 cent coin and rub the coin edgewise on the rust. It removes the rust without disturbing the finish around the rust. A similar soft coin should do the trick
Yes, I have used a UK 2p before in the same manner and it certainly works.

Has anyone mentioned an Angle grinder yet?

:run:
/d

Shed Journal
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#17 Post by redcat »

rufrdr wrote:I use an old U.S. 5 cent coin and rub the coin edgewise on the rust. It removes the rust without disturbing the finish around the rust. A similar soft coin should do the trick
Bronze wool with a little oil works very well.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Gazza

#18 Post by Gazza »

Whats wrong with WD40?
I use it on the garage tools, saws etc to avert the rust and it works fine. I haven't used it to lube my guns though.
All my rifles are in silicone impregnated socks which seems to work well. :good:
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#19 Post by Alpha1 »

Edds Red
Ovenpaa

#20 Post by Ovenpaa »

A real OT observation here, I was on the 'phone the other day at my desk and had a magnetic screwdriver bit in one hand and a 1p coin on the desktop, imagine my surprise when the magnet picked the coin up.

WD40... Many years ago I packed a set of woodcarving chisels away for winter, I cleaned them and gave them a good spray with WD40, then wrapped them in some WD40 sprayed cloth and popped them away in a drawer. A few months later I went to use them and they were wrecked, I have never forgiven myself or WD40 for that and it will never be used on any firearm I own or work on, ever.
/d

Shed Journal