Winter barrel corrosion

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Winter barrel corrosion

#21 Post by dromia »

WD40 is what it says on the tin, a WATER DISPLACING oil, it may have some short term lubricating qualities but it is designed to displace water. Use it as it is meant and there will be no issues, use it as a preservative and you will indeed be disappointed.

On the subject of coins, when I got the house redone a couple of years ago the new keys for the doors are magnetic, another very stupid idea because when I take then out of my pocket my loose change goes to the four winds and the bairns think it is a wedding.

Modern designers need a very hard skelping and huge dose of practicality as the stuff they come out with these days is universally crap and not fit for purpose and over specced for no reason, they should have laser etched on the their brains "just because you can doen't mean you should" and "remember accountants are for counting they are not equipped for thinking, money is a tool not an end in itself".

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
kevinww

#22 Post by kevinww »

Ovenpaa wrote:A real OT observation here, I was on the 'phone the other day at my desk and had a magnetic screwdriver bit in one hand and a 1p coin on the desktop, imagine my surprise when the magnet picked the coin up..
Got the same surprise one day a few years ago, so did a bit of digging and found that if coin is after 1992 they have a steel core and magnetic before 1992 they are not magnetic. I believe it was due to value of copper in coin rising above face value, so you could make money weighing them in for scrap.
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#23 Post by Plumose »

"copper" coins have been plated steel for quite a while now, I think more of the "silver" coins are going that way too.
I believe that true copper was worth more than the face value of the coins
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#24 Post by Ovenpaa »

Plated steel has been going on for ages, my father used to take a magnet with him when he went to purchase brass hinges. A lesson I passed onto my son after he made me something with 'brass' hinges :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal