barrel proofing - that old chestnut!

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

barrel proofing - that old chestnut!

#1 Post by mag41uk »

If I buy and supply a barrel blank and get a smith to fit it does it have to be proofed?

Where does the onus lie if at all?

If its my rifle and blank surely it would be up to me to have it proofed if I were to sell it?

Grey area?
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: barrel proofing - that old chestnut!

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Not really, your 'smith cannot gift, lend or sell a firearm without Proof.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#3 Post by mag41uk »

I appreciate that the smith is chambering a barrel blank which makes it a component part hence licensable.
In this instance he is machining my supplied blank and fitting it to my rifle.
But he isn't gifting lending or selling it to me as its already mine.
However if I went to a smith and asked him to supply and fit a barrel then he would indeed be selling me the barrel and proof needed.
I am probably missing something here!
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

..and he is not charging you for the work?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Blackstuff

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

When does a barrel become a barrel? I think most agree its when the chamber is cut, therefore you're handing the smith a metal rod and he's handing you back a barrel?
DVC
rox

#6 Post by rox »

Blackstuff wrote:When does a barrel become a barrel? I think most agree its when the chamber is cut, therefore you're handing the smith a metal rod and he's handing you back a barrel?
or, you hand him a rifle (and a non-licensed part). He hands you back a rifle.

Either way, as I understand it, it is that 'transfer' of a rifle (or barrel) from him to you that brings about the requirement to proof. Liability insurers might have something to say about it too.
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#7 Post by Andy632 »

I suppose one could join a men's shed that has a lathe, buy the necessary reamers & do the job one's self???
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#8 Post by waterford103 »

Andy632 wrote:I suppose one could join a men's shed that has a lathe, buy the necessary reamers & do the job one's self???
Yes and so long as the firearm stayed in his possession it would be fine , if however he were to sell it it would need to be proofed . At that point it would have be either handed to an RFD to send to proof or the firearm taken physically to the proof house for examination and proof.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#9 Post by bradaz11 »

rox wrote:
Blackstuff wrote:When does a barrel become a barrel? I think most agree its when the chamber is cut, therefore you're handing the smith a metal rod and he's handing you back a barrel?

Either way, as I understand it, it is that 'transfer' of a rifle (or barrel) from him to you that brings about the requirement to proof. Liability insurers might have something to say about it too.
If I give an RFD a non proofed arm to replace a trigger spring say, would it then need to be proofed before it is handed back?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#10 Post by waterford103 »

bradaz11 wrote:
rox wrote:

If I give an RFD a non proofed arm to replace a trigger spring say, would it then need to be proofed before it is handed back?
Only if he charges you . If for instance someone took a shotgun to an rfd for examination and it was declared unsafe or barrels out of proof he could hand it back to you , he might want you to sign a disclaimer stating that you know it's condition . The gun is legally yours but if he accepts payment for work done then ha accepts responsibility for it. I wouldn't like to fight the point in court and neither should he.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933