Parallax focusing/range finding accuracy

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

Re: Parallax focusing/range finding accuracy

#21 Post by breacher »

Gazza wrote:Better put, thank you :good:

If a shooter can group 1-2" groups at 600 yds then I cant see whats wrong applying that to quarry over 100yds given the circumstances are favourable?
What is the bullet flight time.

How far can the quarry move in that time ?

It might be only a few inches but that turns a clean neck shot into a smashed jaw. Or a heart/lung shot into an abdominal wound.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Gazza

#22 Post by Gazza »

And if it doesn't move its a kill :good:
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#23 Post by dromia »

To be fair to the animal it should never be an either or, realistic certainty (not fingers crossed close your eyes and hold your breath certainty) of the shot or don't take it.

The "IF" it moves is the really big "IF" especially with shots beyond your point blank zero.

There is no place for flippancy when shooting live quarry.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Gazza

#24 Post by Gazza »

dromia wrote:To be fair to the animal it should never be an either or, realistic certainty (not fingers crossed close your eyes and hold your breath certainty) of the shot or don't take it.

The "IF" it moves is the really big "IF" especially with shots beyond your point blank zero.

And that's what you think I do?
breacher

#25 Post by breacher »

Gazza wrote:And if it doesn't move its a kill :good:
If "ifs and buts" were pots and pans, we would have no need of tinkers.

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#26 Post by DaveB »

A lot of shots in western Canada and the US are made on power line cuts and the like, and they will quite often be quite long distances. In New Zealand a lot of game is shot in the hills, and sometimes there simply is no getting closer. A lot depends upon the type of game, your skill level, your equipment, and so on. I would not make a sweeping generalisation about anybody who takes 200 yard shots - there are too many variables of which we do not have visibility. In my heyday I was expected to make first-round hits at 600 metres, (and let me be clear here - that was then, when I was well-practiced, not now) and given I had the right equipment, I would not feel uneasy about a 200 yard shot on a large game animal.
breacher

#27 Post by breacher »

Its like anything else in life - it might work 999 times but could go wrong on the 1000th time !

I have seen guys take shots with a .50bmg in the desert in USA - with no backstop. Their justification - its the desert - there is nobody there - we have done it for thousands of rounds with no issue.

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#28 Post by dromia »

DaveB wrote:A lot of shots in western Canada and the US are made on power line cuts and the like, and they will quite often be quite long distances. In New Zealand a lot of game is shot in the hills, and sometimes there simply is no getting closer. A lot depends upon the type of game, your skill level, your equipment, and so on. I would not make a sweeping generalisation about anybody who takes 200 yard shots - there are too many variables of which we do not have visibility. In my heyday I was expected to make first-round hits at 600 metres, (and let me be clear here - that was then, when I was well-practiced, not now) and given I had the right equipment, I would not feel uneasy about a 200 yard shot on a large game animal.
I am talking specifically about shooting in the UK see my first post in this thread.

"If you can't get within 100yrds max of any UK quarry then you are not a hunter."

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#29 Post by dodgyrog »

dromia wrote:To be fair to the animal it should never be an either or, realistic certainty (not fingers crossed close your eyes and hold your breath certainty) of the shot or don't take it.

Here, here!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Gazza

#30 Post by Gazza »

dromia wrote:
DaveB wrote:A lot of shots in western Canada and the US are made on power line cuts and the like, and they will quite often be quite long distances. In New Zealand a lot of game is shot in the hills, and sometimes there simply is no getting closer. A lot depends upon the type of game, your skill level, your equipment, and so on. I would not make a sweeping generalisation about anybody who takes 200 yard shots - there are too many variables of which we do not have visibility. In my heyday I was expected to make first-round hits at 600 metres, (and let me be clear here - that was then, when I was well-practiced, not now) and given I had the right equipment, I would not feel uneasy about a 200 yard shot on a large game animal.

I am talking specifically about shooting in the UK
see my first post in this thread.

"If you can't get within 100yrds max of any UK quarry then you are not a hunter."
Whats the difference between shooting here or in Canada?