European Firearms Pass

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
walesdave

Re: European Firearms Pass

#11 Post by walesdave »

Over the last 7 months I've taken firearms in and out of the EU on many occassions using an EFP - UK to France, France to Belgium, Belgium to Poland etc.
No-one has given a monkeys why I've transported them.
I emailed the local commune police department in Belgium to notify them I was going to keep firearms in my Brussels flat and I might leave them there while travelling elsewhere - their response was they didn't care, didn't want to know any further details (my address etc.) and as long as my EFP was valid, I could pretty much do as I like.
Gwent FEO has no problem with some of my guns being in Belgium while I'm back in the UK; my renewal is due soon and if the EFP scheme remains in force all the FEO has asked is I supply a photo of any firearms in my Belgium flat at the time of the renewal visit - to account for them not being in my UK cabinet.
As far as whether the EFP scheme will remain in force, no-one knows; Belgian police basically told me they had more important things to think about, Gwent FEOs say no-ones told them anything, UK border force haven't a clue!
Cheers
David
Chapuis

#12 Post by Chapuis »

walesdave wrote:Over the last 7 months I've taken firearms in and out of the EU on many occassions using an EFP - UK to France, France to Belgium, Belgium to Poland etc.
No-one has given a monkeys why I've transported them.
I emailed the local commune police department in Belgium to notify them I was going to keep firearms in my Brussels flat and I might leave them there while travelling elsewhere - their response was they didn't care, didn't want to know any further details (my address etc.) and as long as my EFP was valid, I could pretty much do as I like.
Gwent FEO has no problem with some of my guns being in Belgium while I'm back in the UK; my renewal is due soon and if the EFP scheme remains in force all the FEO has asked is I supply a photo of any firearms in my Belgium flat at the time of the renewal visit - to account for them not being in my UK cabinet.
As far as whether the EFP scheme will remain in force, no-one knows; Belgian police basically told me they had more important things to think about, Gwent FEOs say no-ones told them anything, UK border force haven't a clue!
Cheers
David
David you've obviously got access to a range or shooting whilst in Belgium so reasonable lawful reason to take the guns with you. You simply haven't taken them there because you felt like it which would put outside of the EFP system as regards legal possession.
You must be a little concerned about what is going to happen when the EFP system for us comes to an end when the U.K. leaves the E.U. I presume you will then need to obtain the necessary licences/permits in Belgium and even possibly France in order to pass through it en-route to Belgium? I just wonder if it will return to the pre EFP old system of the authorities not being too bothered while in transit as long as you had lawful authority to possess in your home country and lawful to possess in your destination country.
As for Gwent its not really of much interest to them once you've gone outside the U.K. unless you commit an offence with them elsewhere and they get to know about it, as they will under the present scheme of things.
The Gun Pimp

#13 Post by The Gun Pimp »

rox wrote:
Sim G wrote:Had the conversation recently with a Border Force officer. Seems that come 29th of March, EFPs will not be valid for travel to the UK and British issued will not be valid in the other 27 states. You will have to apply to each individual country for the required “visitors permit” as would anyone else from RoW.
I thought EFPs never were valid for travel to the UK. Everyone I know that visits from other EU countries has to apply for a UK visitor's permit anyway.
I've applied for quite a few Visitor Permits for shooters coming from Europe and their European Firearms Pass has always been required by the issuing police force. (Done one this very week).

However, I've made several visits to Europe over the last 20 years with firearms and no one has ever asked to see my EFP.
walesdave

#14 Post by walesdave »

Chapuis - I'm not a member of any Belgian clubs, just use my EFP to pay a day fee at a local range.
Plan after Brexit is to apply for a Belgian sports shooting licence and the get a Belgian issued EFP to transport through France etc. Only problem is the local commune and Police department don't appear to want to spend any time helping out a UK citizen with a Brexit driven problem!
Chapuis

#15 Post by Chapuis »

The Gun Pimp wrote:
rox wrote:
Sim G wrote:Had the conversation recently with a Border Force officer. Seems that come 29th of March, EFPs will not be valid for travel to the UK and British issued will not be valid in the other 27 states. You will have to apply to each individual country for the required “visitors permit” as would anyone else from RoW.
I thought EFPs never were valid for travel to the UK. Everyone I know that visits from other EU countries has to apply for a UK visitor's permit anyway.
I've applied for quite a few Visitor Permits for shooters coming from Europe and their European Firearms Pass has always been required by the issuing police force. (Done one this very week).

However, I've made several visits to Europe over the last 20 years with firearms and no one has ever asked to see my EFP.
I've only ever been asked once to produce my EFP when travelling to France by ferry never when travelling by Eurotunnel. Both customs on this side (what a pain they were, and totally uninformed to boot) and the French customs requested it. The French were totally professional and knowledgeable and bid me Bon Chasse.

With regard to applying for visitors permits on behalf of shooters coming to this country from abroad a friend of mine says its not too much problem with Europeans because they have EFPs. However visiting Americans can cause him some problems because they often don't have any form of licence at all. Apparently the way they get around that is a letter from their local police department vouching for them which is then presented with the application to the firearms department. There have been occasions when its been much simpler to just take advantage of the estate rifle rule.
Chapuis

#16 Post by Chapuis »

walesdave wrote:Chapuis - I'm not a member of any Belgian clubs, just use my EFP to pay a day fee at a local range.
Plan after Brexit is to apply for a Belgian sports shooting licence and the get a Belgian issued EFP to transport through France etc. Only problem is the local commune and Police department don't appear to want to spend any time helping out a UK citizen with a Brexit driven problem!
The issuing of a Belgium EFP sounds like a good solution and hopefully you won't have any issues with them granting you a Belgium sports shooting licence.
Of course if it was the other way around and you had a Belgium working in this country the police over here wouldn't grant a FAC because you have to be resident in the U.K. to be granted a FAC.
walesdave

#17 Post by walesdave »

Getting fed up with Brexit now.....was planning on bring all my guns back to the UK on the 22nd March but looks like we're going to get an extension. I guess if we don't leave on the 29th then EFPs will remain valid until the extension date......anyone think different?
Chuck

#18 Post by Chuck »

Switzerland was the same, my S1 shotgun arrived on the luggage carousel - approached the police officer nearby ref checking it into the country - he just waved me away.

They did check the paperwork thoroughly on the way out to make sure I didn't fall foul of the UK laws though, so fair play to them.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#19 Post by Mattnall »

Chuck wrote:

Switzerland was the same,
Does the EFP cover Switzerland? I thought it was just a EU thing not a Eurpoe thing. Mine has expired now and been destroyed but I don't remember needing one in Norway.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#20 Post by IainWR »

Chapuis wrote:
walesdave wrote:Chapuis - I'm not a member of any Belgian clubs, just use my EFP to pay a day fee at a local range.
The issuing of a Belgium EFP sounds like a good solution and hopefully you won't have any issues with them granting you a Belgium sports shooting licence.
Of course if it was the other way around and you had a Belgium working in this country the police over here wouldn't grant a FAC because you have to be resident in the U.K. to be granted a FAC.
I think you will find it impossible to get a Belgian EFP (unless the Belgian authorities are uncaring of what the European Directive says). An EFP may only be issued by your State of residence.

An EFP is actually a document that falls out from the free movement of goods and the customs union. It is a prior authorisation, replacing customs checks at the border, to cross an intra-EU frontier in possession of the firearms listed on it. Member States are free to impose stricter regulation, hence the validity of the GB VFP, but it has to be in addition to, not insted of, the European rules - hence the Germans (for instance) who regularly travel to Bisley need an EFP to get a GB VFP, but the Americans (for instance) don't.