.45LC Underlever... what to get..?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ballistol

Re: .45LC Underlever... what to get..?

#11 Post by Ballistol »

Furiouspilgrim wrote:I have an old Marlin cowboy competition model in .45LC. Would probably be one of my last guns to sell.
I’ve got the same rifle, they are truly special.
I originally wanted the same gun in .38sp, but couldn’t find one. Turned out to be a blessing, as the bigger hole it makes has made the difference in a few competitions now. Using Trail Boss powder the accuracy is superb, recoil is barely noticeable, and you really can shoot quite quickly.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#12 Post by GeeRam »

Dark Skies wrote: What immediately put me off was how very light they feel. I've no experience whatsoever but I reckoned recoil would nudge my shots to the detriment.
16" barrel carbine is light indeed, and after a 50 rd box of factory 45LC, my shoulder had begun to get a little tender.
Be fine with light loads though, and/or choose the heavier 20" octagon barrel version which adds a bit of heft.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#13 Post by Daryll »

i have the Marlin 1894cs in .357 and yes, that would be one of my last guns to sell, which is why a Marlin in .45LC would be my preferred option... but i can't justify that sort of money (even to myself!) for a plinking gun...
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#14 Post by DaveB »

I have had a Rossi 92 in .44 Magnum since the late 1980s. It's a 20 inch carbine, and even full-house .44 Magnum loads are not too unpleasant, so I would not worry over-much about .45 LC. My wife has one in .44-40. She loves it. Yes, they are a bit rough at first, but a little polishing - or sitting in front of the TV just working the action - will sort that out. Actually I think my wife's, which is a couple of decades newer, is a bit smoother than mine - so maybe their finishing processes have improved.

In spite of all the endorsements from current owners, I would not give house-room to a Henry - they are such a mixture of various style elements and not even slightly historically accurate. I wish I could afford an Uberti Model 1873.
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#15 Post by Lever357 »

I have a Uberti 1873 in 38/357 and it is a joy to shoot and to own. I would certainly at least try to shoot a Uberti before you discount it on cost as they are streets ahead of the others.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Furiouspilgrim
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: 49th

#16 Post by Furiouspilgrim »

Ballistol wrote:
Furiouspilgrim wrote:I have an old Marlin cowboy competition model in .45LC. Would probably be one of my last guns to sell.
I’ve got the same rifle, they are truly special.
I originally wanted the same gun in .38sp, but couldn’t find one. Turned out to be a blessing, as the bigger hole it makes has made the difference in a few competitions now. Using Trail Boss powder the accuracy is superb, recoil is barely noticeable, and you really can shoot quite quickly.
Pretty much the same for me, I wanted a .357 but one of the older chaps at our club was giving up shooting and he put his .45LC up for sale. Think I paid £500 for it before Marlin prices went silly.
Daryll
Past Supporter

#17 Post by Daryll »

I originally went with a Marlin .357 as I'd specifically kept my .38 reloading kit when i handed in my pistols, so i had press, dies, cases and bullets ready to go for it.
As soon as my pistol compo money arrived, I headed down the local RFD and bought the Marlin... for around £400 I seem to remember.
Daryll
Past Supporter

#18 Post by Daryll »

Ok, An update on this...

I'm now the proud owner of a Rossi 20 inch barrelled .45 Colt rifle, for the bargain price of £250, including a set of dies and 200 brand new Starline cases.

One reason it was so cheap is probably because its missing a screw, holding one of the cartridge guide plates.
As I bought this as "project gun", to tinker with and tune, i'm not too fussed about the missing screw, (otherwise the rifle is in very good condition) but it will affect feeding, so i need to source a new screw....

Anyone know of a UK supplier of small parts for Rossi's?? I've found a couple in the US, so may have to get them from there, but would prefer a UK supplier.

Thanks,

Daryll.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#19 Post by GeeRam »

Daryll wrote: Anyone know of a UK supplier of small parts for Rossi's?? I've found a couple in the US, so may have to get them from there, but would prefer a UK supplier.
Try A&A Gunsmiths.

http://www.aandagunsmiths.co.uk/
Daryll
Past Supporter

#20 Post by Daryll »

Thanks Gee.. I've sent them a message

Daryll.